Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the vrod on long trips say 100 miles 200 miles and 500+ or is it truely a short trip bike. A friend of mine has done some riding and keeps trying me the vrod is a short trip around town bike and not for long trips. Which I am fine with, and have no cross country rides planned. Though I question if he is correct as he tends to talk alittle above his pay grade.

Also the harley dealer I checked out and looked the bike over does a beginners course on site. The price is 300 bucks for the class. the class at the local collage is 75 bucks and both take place of the skills test. Is there any reason to pay a extra 225 bucks and do it at the harley dealer?

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
I've been on several trips over 500 miles on it with no problems.
I take that back - I rode to KC and back on a Badlander seat once. I had a sore ass for a week after that. With a stocker or a Sundowner I have had 400+ mile days just riding around the state.

Avoid a dealer whenever possible, unless you have a love of pissing away money.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I take 2-4 150-200 miles trips every week with no troubles, Stock Seat and progressive shocks 3.2 Gal tank. People will complain about this or that, its a fine bike to travel on simply because it doesn't give you any trouble.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The bike is not for touring .But a couple of 8 hours day can be done .

They can be made better by getting aftermarket bars and seat .Fairly inexpensive mods that you get lots out of .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, I figured he was blowing smoke. He seems to think every one I look at is not right. He keeps telling me to buy a full touring bike, though I see no reason for it and hate all the baggage I guess you could call it that come on them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will likely look on ebay and try and find one for a good deal be it local or a few hundred miles away. Besides buying it far away is a good reason to buy a motorcycle trailer.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Most of my weekly rides are 100 miles or more. I've done quite a few 500+ rides and the bike was fine on those.
As for the riders' course, NO, there is NOT a good reason for spending an extra $200 for the HD course over the MSF sponsored course at the local college.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured as much, I am going to call tomorrow and see when the college is doing it again and get on the list.
Most of my weekly rides are 100 miles or more. I've done quite a few 500+ rides and the bike was fine on those.
As for the riders' course, NO, there is NOT a good reason for spending an extra $200 for the HD course over the MSF sponsored course at the local college.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts