Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently (last week or so) discovered oil under the bike (04 vrsca 5800 miles) While looking around I discovered the rubber hose coming off the top of the rear part of the engine had come off. I put it back in its original position and tightened the clamp back down.

Well its now a week later, The hose has stayed in its position and doesn't appear to be leaking, however I Have as much if not more oil all over the engine after I ride it.

My question is, does the air box get removed when someone is installing a powercommander on the bike, I had that work done about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It seemed like this problem started right after that. Also if the hose is now attached on the back, and the one on the front seems to be in the correct place, why am I still getting oil? And help would be great. thanks

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
Not sure if the top needs to be removed to install a power commander, but I can see how someone would forget about reinstalling the rear hose. It is more than likely just residual oil that was released from the hose onto the engine. Wash the bike off at a car where you have some pressure and keep an eye on it for a week or two. Without seeing the bike first hand, it is hard to diagnose things like this......Hope that helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to be coming from the hoses. it seems to obvious that one was off and I have oil. The rear hose seems to be on and secure, but I've rode it two times since then and it seems to have as much or more oil (even after wipping it all off before each ride). Is their supposed to be a band on the top of the front hose that the air box is sitting on top of? I never looked before but the hose has no connection on it, the box is just slipped into it.

It is possible that I put about a 1/3 of a quart too much in when changing the oil last month, but it didn't drip the first 500 miles so I dont think it was from that. it seems to be directly related to the time after the power commander was installed.

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
It seems to be coming from the hoses. it seems to obvious that one was off and I have oil. The rear hose seems to be on and secure, but I've rode it two times since then and it seems to have as much or more oil (even after wipping it all off before each ride). Is their supposed to be a band on the top of the front hose that the air box is sitting on top of? I never looked before but the hose has no connection on it, the box is just slipped into it.

It is possible that I put about a 1/3 of a quart too much in when changing the oil last month, but it didn't drip the first 500 miles so I dont think it was from that. it seems to be directly related to the time after the power commander was installed.
No clamp on the front hose.

If the bike is running rich due to improper settings on the power commander, you might get more oil up into the airbox, but I can't imagine you would get that much.

Anyone else have an idea?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does seem to run a hair rich, but they set it with a dyno run. When I looked in the airbox I really didn't see any excess oil. Although I have no idea if I would in either case since im not that mechanical on these types of things.

Has anyone had problems with the hoses spliting? I ran the bike for a while earlier watching the hose with a flashlight and really didn't see anything dripping or spraying, but the amount of oil on the bike is pretty significant.

I guess to add onto the original question is is possible the tech at the dealer knocked these loose while putting in the power commander? Is this something I can maybe get a free fix on.?

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
The front breather tube does not have any clamps. It fits over a brass tube which is plugged into the front cyl. It has a rubber O-Ring to keep it from leaking.
The rear tube has been known to split. Remove the air box and inspect both tubes fro splits/leaks.
On earlier models ( I do not know what year they changed) The rear tube is held on by a clamp at both ends. On the later models the tube is clamped on to the rear cyl head only and snakes its way through the air box wall into the breather thingy.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
good call rusty, i just got the part to replace mine after chasing down a leak

1 - 7 of 7 Posts