Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I got a couple questions:

1) If I goto the Screamin Eagle air cleaner, with the STOCK exhaust, will I need any type of download or PCIIIr?

2) When checking the oil level, which I do at every reffill of the tank, does the cap need to be screwed down all the way for an accurate reading or is loose okay? I been reading it just by dipping it to the threads, and it hits the top of the "full" line exactly, just as it has since I took delivery at 1 mile on the odometer. At 350 miles, it has yet to register a drop lower than when I first got it and their is no gasoline odor at all. HeHe, I got a funny look sniffing the dipstick at the gas station about a half hour ago! :laugh:

Thanks! :)
Gary

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hey Gary, You can use a S/E filter w/ a stock download as long as you are running full stock pipes. The stock pipes are the first restriction in the system. You probably won't get any hp benefit. Just a reusable filter.

As far as the oil check, you should screw it in all of the way to get an accurate reading.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bruce! Do you ever ride up the Flint way?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Once in a while... My best friend is from New Lothrup (lives in South Lyon). Hope to get up that way a couple of times this summer. Ever get to the city? Bike night in Royal Oak or Ann Arbor?

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
OK, next stupid question from me, how do you check your oil if the bike is supposed to be vertical when doing it? I assumed I needed my lift.

KARAF

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
KARAF said:
OK, next stupid question from me, how do you check your oil if the bike is supposed to be vertical when doing it? I assumed I needed my lift.

KARAF
stand the bike upright between your legs,then lean forward and twist it out. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
DungeonWorks said:
Thanks Bruce! Do you ever ride up the Flint way?

Do you have any more examples of you work on bikes?
Or just that one picture on your site?

BTW Nice website :cool:

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
DungeonWorks said:
When checking the oil level, which I do at every reffill of the tank, does the cap need to be screwed down all the way for an accurate reading or is loose okay?
In order to do an accurate oil check the bike needs to be level, and the stock (plastic) dipstick screwed all the way down. You probably can get the bike level in your garage by placing a couple of 2x4 blocks of wood, etc. under the jiffystand - just be careful you don't tip the bike over on its right side! You can check that your bike is level by putting a magnetic "torpedo" level on the transverse frame rail. The best way to do it is with a bike lift - which they rarely have handy at gas stations, making "on the road" oil checks questionable at best as far as accuracy is concerned.

Unless you have a very good reason to do so, I'd avoid "sniffing" your dipstick and/or drain oil on a regular basis. Change your oil every 1500-2000 miles after the 1K check, and you'll be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts