Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just blew out my oil cooler line from the heat from the set off tab on the v&h Indy 2 into 1 pipe. Has anyone found a better oil line or found a better insulator for this problem. Just glad I wasn't going 80 mph at the time. My line was 3 years old and i would recommend changing this line as a every 2 years winter maintenance item. And where is the best, cheapest place to get this line thanks for the help Jeff

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Just blew out my oil cooler line from the heat from the set off tab on the v&h Indy 2 into 1 pipe. Has anyone found a better oil line or found a better insulator for this problem. Just glad I wasn't going 80 mph at the time. My line was 3 years old and i would recommend changing this line as a every 2 years winter maintenance item. And where is the best, cheapest place to get this line thanks for the help Jeff
Stock line is fine - its best to remove that tab on the exhaust as it actually puts hot metal closer to the line than without it.

Steve

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve makes sense. Just want people to know to stay on top of this as this maybe could be very expensive. I don't know if the bike will shut down automatically if oil pressure goes to 0 cause it blew all at once not a gradual leak that I might have detected. I smelt oil smoke looked for cars around me blowing oil , looked back saw lots of smoke, looked back forward for the culprit then looked down and hoily moilly oilyl everywhere down the side of the bike. At highway speed I don't think I would have notice till I heard clunk, clunk, clunk, and loss of power.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Stock line is fine - its best to remove that tab on the exhaust as it actually puts hot metal closer to the line than without it.

Steve
That stand-off is there for a reason. It keeps the line away from the source itself. That is a revision to the previous Indy pipe. It was more of a problem without the stand-off than with.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
when I did my Tmax install the front O2 sensor cabling ran closer to the head than I liked. I installed Thermal heat sleeving from Jegs as a "just in case". Been there for nearly 3 years with no sign of wear.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
That stand-off is there for a reason. It keeps the line away from the source itself. That is a revision to the previous Indy pipe. It was more of a problem without the stand-off than with.
After you've had the engine running for a while touch that stand off , then when your finger has healed imagine that touching your oil line.....

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
The 09 and up bikes have that thermal sleeve just like the one from Jegs as stock on the oil line.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
the newer bikes use a "Boot Guard" Jegs part number 40301. Fiberglass and rated up to 1200〫F. I originally was going to go that route, but they did not come in gray

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
That boot guard looks like what's on my 07. The 09 I saw when they first came out looked identical to the stuff in your pic from Jegs.

·
Registered
962 Posts
not so !

i have just had one fitted and it was shipped direct from VH and i expected it to arrive with the stand off bracket as in there catalogue, emailed VH and they replied saying its better without the bracket and they dont do it anymore , and the header should fit further away then OE if fitted correctly , and i have to agree , my front header on the VH has way more clearance then the OE header , and the tech agreed saying there is loads of adjustment in the header for this reason, and if its closer its bad fitment, mine could never melt the line as the OE was closer.

pre 2008 bikes get oil cooler pipe with mesh type cover , later bikes have padded shiny sleeve (like photo with white heat stuff)

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
That boot guard looks like what's on my 07. The 09 I saw when they first came out looked identical to the stuff in your pic from Jegs.
you know, they must have changed that in '09 cause Jeb's '08 is still the cloth thingy. HD does evolve

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
better oil line?

Got to love this web site, thanks for the help. I think ill get the jegs insulator and wrap the first few inches of both header with some wrap I got left over from some toxic chopper pipes i wore out. Id like to get the drag pipe turn out that the 2006 destroyer drag bike has for when I feel a lil loud. I cant think of a better pipe for the nrs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
the newer bikes use a "Boot Guard" Jegs part number 40301. Fiberglass and rated up to 1200〫F. I originally was going to go that route, but they did not come in gray
I have an 09 which had this thermal sleeve and it didnt help. it might work for a while but my exhaust burned a hole straight through it and i had a big mess on my hands.

I came across these which i plan to fit to my bike now. http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/586701/Tuning/Cooling/Samco

1 - 15 of 15 Posts