Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group.
My 05 have been replaced the clutches twice in less than a month (only 3 rides, about 100miles total). I have it second hand for a little more than a month and haven’t been able to ride do to this issue.
Same issue both times it started to run perfectly and after 5-10 minutes gear starts to feel like slippers. Motor roams and try to pulls but bike almost doesn’t move.
I went to the mechanic today to get her back (clutch were replaced, told me the previous one were burned). Few minutes away the shop it started the issue again.
I tow her back to the shop. Now the mechanic told me that it seems to be the clutch line, that from his previous experience needs to be replaced every x time.
I’m not a mech savvy, so not sure if that’s correct or not. I just want my dream bike to be able to actually run!
Any comments, recommendations?
Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi group… need help!
I have replaced the clutch (twice) and the clutch line of my 05. Still the same issue. Bike just barely move, from neutral to 1 or 2 is like it not move more than 5mph… this happens after like 10miles after service completed

·
Registered
Black 2007 VRSCD
153 Posts
If the clutch has been replaced twice? I'm not thinking it's the clutch unless they did something wrong on the install?
If it couldn't shift I would look towards clutch slave cylinder or dirty clutch fluid. It's an odd case most things that go wrong won't let it shift or get stuck a gear. Slipping while in gear hmmmm

Slipping I can only think of two things bad clutch or the wrong oil? Since the clutch was changed twice and you're sure it's good? The only other thing I can think of is it has the wrong oil and it doesn't let the clutch grab. It's a cheap fix to check just change the oil make sure it's Motor & Clutch oil. Unless someone put something like Slick 50 or Dura Lube in there then I don't think changing the oil would work. Everything would already be coat in non-stick layers. Then you would need to change the oil, clutch again plus maybe a few other things.

Maybe a good VROD clutch person will jump in and help. I put a HD Screaming eagle slipper clutch in mine. Only problem I have is the no fiction zone (well 3/8 of an inch!) on the clutch but that is normal and something you just need to learn to use.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Hi group… need help!
I have replaced the clutch (twice) and the clutch line of my 05. Still the same issue. Bike just barely move, from neutral to 1 or 2 is like it not move more than 5mph… this happens after like 10miles after service completed
Might be too much fluid in the master or the master cylinder has a blocked return port. Expanding fluid from heat is pushing on the slave making it slip.
Ron

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the clutch has been replaced twice? I'm not thinking it's the clutch unless they did something wrong on the install?
If it couldn't shift I would look towards clutch slave cylinder or dirty clutch fluid. It's an odd case most things that go wrong won't let it shift or get stuck a gear. Slipping while in gear hmmmm

Slipping I can only think of two things bad clutch or the wrong oil? Since the clutch was changed twice and you're sure it's good? The only other thing I can think of is it has the wrong oil and it doesn't let the clutch grab. It's a cheap fix to check just change the oil make sure it's Motor & Clutch oil. Unless someone put something like Slick 50 or Dura Lube in there then I don't think changing the oil would work. Everything would already be coat in non-stick layers. Then you would need to change the oil, clutch again plus maybe a few other things.

Maybe a good VROD clutch person will jump in and help. I put a HD Screaming eagle slipper clutch in mine. Only problem I have is the no fiction zone (well 3/8 of an inch!) on the clutch but that is normal and something you just need to learn to use.
You mean the engine oil or the clutch oil?
Engine oil is the Harley sync per manual.
Clutch oil is dot 5.
Clutch installed right now is the barnett kit. Clutch line is hd.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I would lean towards what Ron mentioned. Maybe rebuild the master cylinder. Easy and cheap to try..

·
Registered
665 Posts
You are correct. As I typed it I was thinking Brembo 06 and up. But I would check the MC and go from there.

·
Registered
Black 2007 VRSCD
153 Posts
You mean the engine oil or the clutch oil?
Engine oil is the Harley sync per manual.
Clutch oil is dot 5.
Clutch installed right now is the barnett kit. Clutch line is hd.
I was talking about the Engine/Trans oil since they share oil. Hmm will over filling that cause that problem? When I took mine in when I bought it to have the Harley Dealer give it the once over they left mine about a quart low. I guess they checked on the kick stand. LOL My book says to check the engine/trans oil warmed up standing upright.

But what Ron said makes sense if it's to full or filled with water. I had to flush mine about 8 times to get clean fluid flowing because it had so much water in there. But I had no idea it could push the clutch. That's also a cheap & easy fix :) maybe not water just over filled I thought the dot 5 was better at keeping the water out.

When you find out what's causing it make sure to post the cure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys. Today I received the rebuilt kit for the master cylinder. I went to my mechanic (as I’m not that talented) to replace and check/seal the little leak from the stator cable. The issue is that I had to push my rod, because she got stuck in neutral! Had to push her for close to 3 miles…
I can “shift” but she doesn’t move. I can release the clutch lever while she is supposed to be on 1st gear and she doesn’t turn off! Is like she still in neutral!!
Help, please!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts