Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my R home about a week ago and after my first ride I found a splattering of anti-freeze on the engine. I traced it back to the cap, had it replaced by dealer and it seemed OK. I did find a few stains every now and then, but hoped it was some that I missed on my original clean-up. Now I have to take my head out of the sand because with the weather heating up outside ( 90 degrees ), its really started to drip. Seems to start after shut down but cant tell for sure. Gonna contact dealer but wanted to know if anyone elese has had this problem before they try to feed me a line.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I had a similar problem last month with my '04 VRSCA.

Turns out it was the small tube (attached to the rubber hose that leads to the overflow bottle) right below the radiator cap. It had a very small crack in it. Not sure if it was defective or got that way due to rubbing or the like. My bike had about 5200 miles when the leak started.

They ended replacing (under warranty) the entire piece (P/N 26768-01) since the elbow tube is part of the main tube.

Eddie

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
EddieLasVegas said:
I had a similar problem last month with my '04 VRSCA.

Turns out it was the small tube (attached to the rubber hose that leads to the overflow bottle) right below the radiator cap. It had a very small crack in it. Not sure it it was defective or got that way due to rubbing or the like. My bike had about 5200 miles when the leak started.

They ended replacing (under warranty) the entire piece (P/N 26768-01) since the elbow tube id part of the main tube.

Eddie
I have seen more of the cases that Eddie just described than the rad caps. Have seen a few rad caps with bent ears that cause them not to hold. If you are certain it is coming from this area it is one of these two things.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Replaced my cap at about 30k miles and replaced the over flow tube at about 40k (But that was my fault, I wire tied my Gerbing power cord to it)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts