Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much volume does pump's hose hold? I buy 91 Octane gas, but unless there's an M3 or something like that in front of me (also using hi-octane fuel), the hose is filled with Regular. Some gas stations have really long shlongs hangin' there.... with ony few galons that bike tank holds, by the time the actual 91 starts flowing, the tank may by half full already, resulting in lesser-than-expected fuel!!!
Or am I just paranoid.... ???

·
Registered
818 Posts
Does anyone know how much volume does pump's hose hold? I buy 91 Octane gas, but unless there's an M3 or something like that in front of me (also using hi-octane fuel), the hose is filled with Regular. Some gas stations have really long shlongs hangin' there.... with ony few galons that bike tank holds, by the time the actual 91 starts flowing, the tank may by half full already, resulting in lesser-than-expected fuel!!!
Or am I just paranoid.... ???
I asked a guy that was working on the pumps and he told me a cup....well adding it up there is no way. The filter alone is better then a quart(what I didn't see was two filters or if they were on the intake side) plus the 1" hose by 10 feet plus and don't forget the feed to the top of the pump. I am guessing better then 1 quart and could be as much as 2 quarts IMO.

So after a while if you constantly fill a partial empty tank you will dilute the ~"91" octane. So after a long while it can make a difference. Best advice is go as close to empty as you dare go.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Unless you have your timing advanced to 1 millionth of a degree away from explosion I doubt it matters. But yes I'd guess a 1/4 gallon myself.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
read this marker4x4 : http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143549
your in BC so just buy the 94 from Chevron as it's on it's own hose and you'll be fine........ I always fill at Chevron since I got my V-Rod..... only once I was forced to fill at the Co-op a couple yrs ago and it ran like shit!...I dunno if it makes any difference for HP from 91 to 94 or 89...... but I sure did notice how the bike ran at 3000 -5000rpm with that shit Co-op 91 gas

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Here is my caluclation if you fill up with 4 gallons of gas at a coop pump and 1 quart is 89 octane the average octane fot your bike asumeing up used 93 would be 92.75. So i think it is a mute point. Even if you "topped off with 1/2 gallon and 1 quart was 89 you would still be at the min recomendation of 91 octane. The other thing to do is always have your buds fill up first. Its not an issue unless you are on the ragged edge and running it to the max from fill up to fill up. as MWDHAND stated

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Just sit there and wait for a guy that is pumping premium ahead of you, then there's no worry.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
On the single hose pumps,there is 3/10ths in the system from the last pumping.
Here in Fla we have 3 grades.When the mid grade is pumped,the first 3 tenths is sucked from the 93 octane tank in case the last pumping was from the 87 tank.This is done to keep the octane at 89,and at the retailers expense.
A few years ago,I spent quite a bit of time researching this.I finally got talking w one of the stores that managed the gasoline coming in from the Tampa port.The store owner directed me to a web site that had the certification testing for the inspectors we all have seen taking samples at or time or another.I did not store the site info,but if you can search some of the threads from about 4 years ago,you should be able to find it.
What I posted cleared all the bullshit and wives tales up.
You will also learn that No Name dispensers like Race Track,and WalMart are allowed by law to sell 4 points lower than the advertised octane.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
read this marker4x4 : http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143549
your in BC so just buy the 94 from Chevron as it's on it's own hose and you'll be fine........ I always fill at Chevron since I got my V-Rod..... only once I was forced to fill at the Co-op a couple yrs ago and it ran like shit!...I dunno if it makes any difference for HP from 91 to 94 or 89...... but I sure did notice how the bike ran at 3000 -5000rpm with that shit Co-op 91 gas
Valid point, I guess I have to befriend the Chevron station :)
Thanks 70roadrunner and PM me next time you're in the Lower Mainland.

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
You will also learn that No Name dispensers like Race Track,and WalMart are allowed by law to sell 4 points lower than the advertised octane.
Wholly scrod, Elrod! I buy 90% of my gasoline at the Racetrack station around the corner from my house!
:banghead:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Wholly scrod, Elrod! I buy 90% of my gasoline at the Racetrack station around the corner from my house!
:banghead:
I have had to run 87 octane on several occasions and I could not tell any difference at all under interstate cruising conditions.
With as large a window the ecm has for retarding,and advancing the timing,I say the noticeable difference would be a loss of power under acceleration.
The biggest problem when it comes to getting a proper explanation on how it works and the regulations of dispensing gasoline is that the information is not readily available.Because of this,there have been to many people doing to much guessing about how it all works,and it gets all twisted around.
Beside the rating of power in gasoline,once I found the proper info,I found the different systems interesting,such as pusher and puller pumping systems and the different switching valves and other mechanics of how it works.

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
I just add a cup of JETA1 at each fill-up and she runs smooth a silk. :bolt

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Use 93 and dont worry
not always an option - when tulsa got put on the dirty air list 8-10 years ago we lost our 93 octane, highest in the state is now 91....it sucks, especailly because at the time the switch occured I had a hopped up LS1 (cam, heads, LOTS of compression) tuned on the ragged edge. I had to take another trip to the dyno for a whole new tune

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Why would a city with dirty air lose 93? Houston is the dirtiest air in the country and we still have it.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Well if its That Important than Squeeze off a few seconds into the trash barrel to clear the hose.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
On the single hose pumps,there is 3/10ths in the system from the last pumping.
Here in Fla we have 3 grades.When the mid grade is pumped,the first 3 tenths is sucked from the 93 octane tank in case the last pumping was from the 87 tank.This is done to keep the octane at 89,and at the retailers expense.
A few years ago,I spent quite a bit of time researching this.I finally got talking w one of the stores that managed the gasoline coming in from the Tampa port.The store owner directed me to a web site that had the certification testing for the inspectors we all have seen taking samples at or time or another.I did not store the site info,but if you can search some of the threads from about 4 years ago,you should be able to find it.
What I posted cleared all the bullshit and wives tales up.
There are not as many suppliers/refiners these days, in fact way less than even 5-10 years ago. The walmarts and speedy's buy gas from whoever and whenever and chances are you are getting what's marked on the pump.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts