Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.....i was wondering if it would be possible to have one.I had a nice NIGHT ROD last year sold it..but i loved it...just had too many toys .

I presently have a nice turbo busa from RCC turbo that runs low low 8's and i can ride it anywhere but i need something different now..a new challenge.

I was thinking of a turbo VROD with a nice little dry kit added,chain driven,streched,carbon wheels ,light forks and all....but streetable and that can run 8's....am i dreaming?

I am not getting any younger(45)and i will like a change of scenery in my life,i have attended an NDRA race last year in NORWALK and loved it but i need to build a nice bike and it's gotta be fast.

So the question is..am i aiming too high?

Wich in your experience will get me there .BIGBORE AND A DRY KIT or TURBO and a drykit.??Thanks for your inputs!!

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
I don't think even the Destroyer will do 8 sec will it? Smokenjoe will chime in hear soon. He has a badass streetrod with NOS on it.

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
enough money, and the right person to build it, anything is possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know..but the DESTROYER isn't what i had in mind...i want more than that and no bars.I have been 7.60's at 196mph on a MCR streetire turbo streetable busa..and i am talking about a lightweight streched turbo nos VROD or a bigbore nos .I think i need about 250hp to get there..so i would think 200hp out of a turbo would be easy and streetable..since i don't know how strong the bottom end is on a VROD....i need feedbacks of how much can it handle...like with rods ,pistons and a built tranny....etc.....i know a BUSA motor can handle 600hp plus hp at the rear wheel and stil be streetable and with only rods ,pistons,springs and heavy duty output shaft and cut tranny....and still be very streetable when you turn the boost down.But i have no idea of what the VROD can handle with what mods.

I want to build a one of a kind VROD that can easely run the streets (boost down running pump gas)and run anywhere in the 8's at he strip.

I have seen PROSTREET HARLEYS run 8's on motor and on a streetire at the NDRA race and was really impressed and loved them but they all have big motors and high compression and can't e streetable...i want something similar but streetable.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Is an 8 second street able v-rod possible? Of course, it's just how deep are your pockets.

Your going to spend ten times the money though to make a street able 8 second v-rod over what your turbo busa cost IMHO. Now if you said a 9 second street able v-rod they are already out there running around. Just a turbo with a good rider will put you in the low tens and I know of one in Phoenix with a stock 1130 and turbo running high 9's. But when you say you need 250hp thats when your going to start to spend some real money. We have seen at KC during our dyno shootout 245 hp and we have seen an 8 second v-rod running a BB and I think Chopper steve broke the 8 second mark with his turbo bb. How street able the bikes really would be I can't say, that is pushing the limit of the current case IMHO. It seems that just over 200hp the design of the case allows it to flex enough that the main bearings walk around just a little. My current turbo motor I pinned the main bearings the same as the top fuel NHRA racers do. I still only plan about 190 hp though for my all street bike.

Of course making a v-rod put out what your busa is doing just isn't possible with what is available now. However I'm pretty sure that billet v-rod cases are already a possiblity and that alone would unleash what this motor really is capable of with the right parts.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
handydan said:
Didn't badrod do an 8 sec 1/4 mile and 100 mile ride after, at last years rally?
Badrod I did 245hp on the dyno and then did the 100 mile ride. Badrod II did 8 seconds but didn't do the 100 mile ride.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
Eagle Harley Davidson and Jeff Hoover spent allot of time and money getting a V-rod to go 8 seconds. The one they built was all motor, and I wouldn't have called it a streetable. I think it was good for about 10 passes before it blew up worse than any engine Ive ever seen.

I think that we are a ways off yet from seeing a 8 second streatable V-rod. Something is going to have to be done about the cases before really big motors are going to last on the street.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
What would be the feasability of running a detuned V-Rod pro stock engine on the street?
I've read where Andrew Hines was changing engines every round for a while.Now the B engines are even different than last years,the exhaust exits different too.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
What would be the feasability of running a detuned V-Rod pro stock engine on the street?
I've read where Andrew Hines was changing engines every round for a while.Now the B engines are even different than last years,the exhaust exits different too.

Elrod on the V-Rod
The Pro Stock V-Rod engines are simply NOT V-Rod engines. Nothing on them will retrofit to our V's.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
o2man98 said:
The Pro Stock V-Rod engines are simply NOT V-Rod engines. Nothing on them will retrofit to our V's.
I know this,but with a big enough torch and a welder any engine will fit.Actually I was curious if one could be had.
Isn't the SE pro stock called a B-Rod?
It's too bad S&S decided to use the 45 degree air cooled engine instead of coming up w a Revo race engine that could be bought to bolt in.Again I realize the V-Rod pro stock doesn't use liquid for cooling either.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
420 Posts
The NHRA Pro stock V&H motor is not available for sale. The G2 Buell is but forget about it for the street.

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DaMN!Never thought it would be that hard to have a 250hp vrod that stays together.I don't want to compare a VROD to a BUSA...just wanted to know if it would be possible to have an 8sec capable street VROD.....seems it is not easy at all to get there.It would be nice to be able to without breaking the bank..lol...:banghead:

·
Open up and say AHH!
343 Posts
I cant believe I read this thread.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
smokenjoe01 said:
I believe its a 60 degree S&S. How did you get close enough to one , to notice the changes Al?

You could be correct on the fancy S&S engine,even though, most TF guys run the 45 because of cost.I found a complete bike for 20k w an older engine and clutch,it will work on the street once an oiling system is made for it.When I'm at the TF meets I talk w the owners to get ideas on how to make one streetable,most of them love the idea.I figured how Ray Price makes his 2 spd transmission and the components are available from todays late model GM 4L30E,a take off of the 180THM.

I get real close to the V&H bikes when I get a chance.These kinda race machines change daily.One of the newer styles were at the Daytona meet and I have some pics of the external,they wouldn't raise the "hood' for me to get some shots of the heads.
A couple of years ago I was taking shots of the heads and the crew chief tryed to take my camera,I stuffed it in my pocket and told to come take it! It was a disposable,I'll see if I can find them. Later I learned the heads were the key to the performance and it cost 2.2 million to get where they were at the time.I guess they thought I was committing espionage.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Registered
18 Posts
8 sec vrod hell i'd be happy with a 10 sec vrod......then i would want a 9 sec vrod.........and finally i would have to try for an 8 sec vrod.........DAMN its happening again,:banghead: my wifes gonna have to get a second job.:D

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
It is only a matter of time before S&S, STD or one of the other after-market powerhouses produces a set of cases that can handle over 200HP without any street-table issues!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts