Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Soy City Rider
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local Dealer got an '03 traded in. ....only 5600 miles. Can't really understand how someone could own an '03 (my favorite paint scheme) or a V-rod for that matter & only ride it 800 miles a year.:wazzup:

Musta been the garage trophy piece.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I bought my 07dx back in March it only had 764 miles on it. I bought it from a car dealer that got it on a trade. He didn't want to mess with selling the bike so I got it for trade in value (which was what the local stealership offered him for it). It was a one owner bike. I love it!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Local Dealer got an '03 traded in. ....only 5600 miles. Can't really understand how someone could own an '03 (my favorite paint scheme) or a V-rod for that matter & only ride it 800 miles a year.:wazzup:

Todd,

After having owned many bikes, as many as five registered simultaneously, trying to ride them all can be tough...

Reading your post makes me chuckle a bit as you are clearly young and/or stupid, probably both....

Just enjoy the bike....

·
boredom kills
2,323 Posts
short riding season in Decatur, IL?
Owned by an older married guy with kids?
Multiple bike ownership?
Guy who wears a suit to work and can't commute on a bike?
Guy who travels 50% of the time for work, i.e, salesmen, auditors, field reps
Guy who got scared riding and parked the bike

Bottom line, it can happen easier than most would think

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
SOmeone fell for the "Scam" of the Anniversary Badge thinking it would be worth something some day and it will never be.
I know if I had a '03 with that color scheme I wouldn't ride it either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Okay I may have the record here. In '08 I bought my '04 VRSCA and it had only 116 miles on it after 4 years. Dude won it in a raffle, lived in New York, put it in storage and there it stayed until he got into some money trouble where it was either we take the bike or your legs. Good for me since I bought the bike with a clean title from the people who acquired it from the original owner. The bike was trailered to Atlanta, where I bought it and drove it 450 miles home (well most of the way) until some trash in the tank fouled up the injectors and I had to trailer it the rest of the way. Cleaned out the tank and injectors and she's never had a problem since.

·
Soy City Rider
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I may have the record here. In '08 I bought my '04 VRSCA and it had only 116 miles on it after 4 years. Dude won it in a raffle, lived in New York, put it in storage and there it stayed until he got into some money trouble where it was either we take the bike or your legs. Good for me since I bought the bike with a clean title from the people who acquired it from the original owner. The bike was trailered to Atlanta, where I bought it and drove it 450 miles home (well most of the way) until some trash in the tank fouled up the injectors and I had to trailer it the rest of the way. Cleaned out the tank and injectors and she's never had a problem since.

That is a low mile bargain Snake.:notworth:

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
you want Low Mileage try searching of a Street Rod, the biggest problem with them is that Most the riders Throw Up after riding it for 10 miles or so and they park it without cleaning off the puke for several years as they rot in some Holding area away from the publics eye.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
you want Low Mileage try searching of a Street Rod, the biggest problem with them is that Most the riders Throw Up after riding it for 10 miles or so and they park it without cleaning off the puke for several years as they rot in some Holding area away from the publics eye.

Bad day at the office today?

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Priorities like kids, family, work. I won't ride to work because it is just to dangerous with all the road work. I have an 12yo & 8yo every weekend and 3 nights during the week. I put over 40k a year on my car and often by the time I get home the last thing I'm interested in is more asphalt time. I love this bike and enjoy it on my terms. In someways I would bet that it makes me appreciate riding more than someone clocking 10k a year. If someone wants to judge me for how many miles I ride they can scratch my left hairy nut.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
My wife has an 03 sporty with less than 6000 miles. She travels extensively for work (typically home every other weekend). Combine that with family and other commitments and it becomes very difficult to find time to ride. I only ride a couple of thousand miles a year myself. Between work (where I have to have my truck) and practically being a single dad, there just isn't much time to ride. I am happy if before bedtime I can go for a 15 minute ride a couple of times a week. Even at this rate I am delighted to have my bike. It is, after all, the second best stress reliever that I know of.

·
Registered
216 Posts

I can believe it.

I just went over 5000mi. this past weekend with my '03! (5023mi) And I bought it brand new in 2003!:chair:

It's sad, but it seems like I've been into everything BUT the bike since '05. Dang how time can fly by. I plan on getting back into the bike this coming year.:D

So yes, there are a few of us out there that have "garage trophy's"!LOL

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
My father has an 05' Fatboy with less than 1700miles on it. Sad part is he has all kinds of time to ride he is retired. Guess the ice cream shack being less than a mile from his house....Doesn't help either...

·
Bone Stock A Model
1,269 Posts
I have an 03 with just a little over 1,300 miles on it. I bought it as a hobby to tinker around with in the evening after work. I enjoy the time and it relaxes me. I probably put 20K + miles a year riding motorcycles most of which are on my Street Glide or Ducati. I'm tiring of tinkering with the vrod so will probably be putting it for sale soon. Someone is going to get a great bike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My 2002 is averaging 550 miles per year. I bought it used in 2008 with 4000 miles on it. We have cold winters, my garage is unheated so I work on it in the summer, and so, not many miles. But I doubt if anyone here likes their bike more than I do.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
The Kelley Blue Book average for a street motorcycle is only 3500 miles/year.

I bought my bike to ride it. I average 10,000+ miles/year, but I can ride virtually year 'round here. Some cannot.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
So is it You Guys who rarely ride the ones that Get all "HArley Up'd" in everything Harley when you do Ride your 34 miles a month 6 times a year to compensate?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think several have stated a lot of good reasons for low mileage. The point is that people buy bikes (or other things) for various reasons. As long as your happy, why point fingers or dog someone else for how many miles they have on their bike.

Right now, I do not have time to ride as much as I'd like to, but that doesn't mean my bike is a waste in my eyes.....I enjoy every chance I get to ride and that makes it worth it

1 - 20 of 78 Posts