Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been wanting to do this mod for a while. Long story short due to my father's health I wasn't able to work on my bike at all last year. He passed away in October so I am working on my bike again. So no comments on the inch of dust on my bike. It has been sitting for over a year in my shop.

Ok so onto the details. The headlight is from Truck-Lite and is a DOT legal LED headlight. These are used by the Army in Humvees and that is where I first saw them. The light temperature is 5000K so it is about the same as OEM HID lights. As it turns out if you remove the 5 3/4" headlight, the trim ring and bucket, and the rubber seal around that the 7" headlight drops right in. I did have to clearance the headlight slightly for the bolts to go by it when mounting the fairing. Since the headlight has a cast aluminum case it was not a problem. I built a ring that the light would drop into and then built a mount so I could attach the whole assembly to the bike. This also allowed me to lower the faring without having to use the common adapters. I still have to send it out for powder coat but thought I would share.

I won't be able to get night time pictures of the light output for a while since the bike isn't rolling on its own just yet. However these lights are quite bright. The one I have is actually a 24V light from a hummer so I will be running a step-up transformer to power it. They do make them in 12V but this one was free so I'm making it work.

Due to requests I am starting a list for the folks that want me to make one of these. I need 10 total to make it worthwhile. I can do these in stock height or lowered faring height. Let me know which you would like and if you want the bracket only or the light and bracket ready for plug and play. They will come with all necessary hardware and the lamp has a 3 year manufacturers warranty. Once we have 10 people committed then I will contact you with payment details. If the mods have any issues about this please contact me. I'm not trying to run a business just trying to help out some fellow members.

$65.00 Bracket only
$450.00 Light and bracket

1. redracer95 - stock height - light and bracket
2. hugues78fr - stock height - light and bracket
3. h2o - lowered height - light and bracket
4. Yeaux - stock height - bracket only
5. Phifer2088 - bracket only
6. sillyboy_16117 - bracket only
7. mukymo - stock height - light and bracket
8. 06Rodzilla stock height - bracket only
9. griffin337 - stock height - bracket only

Ok so here are the pics.

·
Fat and Fast
223 Posts
I think it looks great. You might want to think about taking orders, I am sure there would be others interested.

·
Registered
976 Posts
What is the cost of the light ?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Andy. Yeah it was tough losing Dad but we knew it was coming for a while. I came home from Iraq in 09 to take care of him and while it was hard and took all my spare time it was well worth the time that I had left with him. The shop is slow unfortunately. The economy has killed many businesses around here. I will be heading back overseas sometime this year I imagine. Hopefully I can get my bike together before then. I haven't been on the forum much in the past year either so its good to be back.

pfbmgd,

The light retails for around $400 but can be had for around $300 if you shop around. http://www.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-Round-12v-Headlamp-27250C/dp/B002IFRROM

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
times are tough for everyone man, so don't worry to much! you made the right decision to go home and spent time with your dad before he was gone, so feel good about it. just hang out here more often then.

that light mod is sweet. you should look into production for the bracket, you definitely have a market for that.

·
FATASSDX
2,143 Posts
Great creative mod Tim. That light looks awesome.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Awesome, Tim! I got one, last month, and put it in a softtail headlight bucket. Crazy bright. I still have to mount the batwing, so no pictures yet. Great minds think alike! Joe

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Doug and Andy, Its good to be back here on the forum and good to work on the bike again. If you think there is a market for these then I suppose I could make a run of 10 or so. I have a friend that has a CNC Plasma table so it wouldn't be a problem. If there is interest let me know and I can work up an estimated price.

CPTJAM, glad to hear you like the light. They have been out for a couple of years and I have been wanting to try it I just wasn't sure if I could get the 7" light to fit where a 5 3/4" was in the faring. Surprisingly I think it looks and fits better than the original. You do have to make some notches in the sides of the light so that the bolts go in straight though. I used a rat tail file and filed it down about a 1/16" and the 5 bolts clear fine now.

One more thing I want to add is a chrome trim ring from a 60s car so that the light is actually mounted to the metal ring instead of just being sandwiched between the ring and the faring. Where the trim ring would sit on the light you won't be able to see it from the front but I think it will take the weight off of the faring mounting points.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
beats the 500 bucks Harley wants. They only make it for the DX, not an AW, so that is what motivated me. I think plenty of folks would want your mod. Brighter is better! Joe

·
Registered
184 Posts
AWESOME setup!

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I just lost my Mom six months ago, I feel your pain.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Tim, sorry for your loss....

Light looks great, you do come up with some creative ideas. How's the Chevelle project coming ?

Glad your back, Skip

·
Justpassinthru
8,976 Posts
Looks Sweet Tim ! Glad to hear you got time to spend with your Dad. You are Very special to put off your things for a year and spent Quality time with Dad. Better Days ahead and enjoy your bike before you go back to Iraq. Thanks for your service.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. I worked on it some more today. I cleaned up the cuts some more and made a mount for my step up transformer. I also started working on the wiring. I am waiting on my weather pack plugs to come in so I won't be able to finish it up for a few days until they show up. In the mean time I am taking it to the powder coaters in the morning. Hopefully I can get it finished up and on the bike by early next week and I will try to roll the bike out and get some pics. It needs washing anyhow lol.

Skip, the Chevelle is made as much progress as the V-ROD made lol. It looks like it is going to be on the back burner a little longer. I promised my dad before he passed that I would finish his V8 S-10 project and give it to my nephew so thats first on the list after the V-ROD is rolling again. Then hopefully I can work on it. I'll be moving mine and my dads stuff into a new shop building so that I can sell his place. Once my shop is setup I can start tearing into it.

I would like to say again it is really nice to be back on the forum again. This is without a doubt the closest forum community I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of. I bought from and sold parts to many of you. I have learned much from others here and hope that I have given back to the community by way of the few how-tos that I have posted. Maybe this year I can actually meet up with some of you guys and put some faces to the names. Thanks to everyone and I can't wait to show you guys what else I've been up to lol.

Tim

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
redracer95,

I'm not a vendor so I'm not sure how the forum would handle me selling some of these. I imagine I would need pre-orders for at least 10 to make it economical for the plasma cutter and the powder coating. I could offer it as a complete package with the light, bracket, bulb mods done, and the longer bolts to mount it. I'll try to get an estimate worked up and let you guys know. I won't be looking to make anything off them other than a little for my time. I imagine it would end up being close to the price of the HD light but you would have a 7" light instead of a 5 3/4" light.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I got the mount cleaned up and powder coated. I also got all my metri-pack connectors in so I could wire it all up. Here are the final pics.

I did look into doing a small run of these if anyone is interested. If I get 10 orders I can make the bracket, have it powder coated, supply the correct size bolts, include instructions, and include shipping for $65.00. I could set these up like mine with the faring lowered or I could do stock height. Also these are setup to work with the Truck-Lite LED light. If you wanted to use a different light I would need to know to make sure it clears the bracket as I made this one fit very closely to the back of the light.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts