Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a speed junky by any means, but sometimes, i wish the bike had that extra gear.
Does anyone know, if that's even possible?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Not only is it possible but there have been rumors floating around that the 05 will come with a 6 speed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but i have an '03 :banghead
Is there any hope for me? :confused:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
roman my understanding is the only change would be to add the gear and change the cluster gear. The place is already on your main shaft to support the gear. Mind you that is only a rumor.

Max

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Max, you are a well of information. :notworthy

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Where is the 6th speed needed? On the top end? Or Scrunched into the existing lineup.

With my '03, 30-tooth, at 80mph, the motor is just smoothing out and hitting it's power band. Will jump through 100 easily enough from there. That's fast enough, and high enough gearing for me. -which is why I waited until I was almost 40 before I got a *fast* bike. definitely wasn't mature enough to handle this much power responsibly when I was 30.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
morey000 I like to cruise in the 80-90 range and that is pushing a little higher then I like to see on a sustained rpm. It's not that the engine is not capable of cruising all day at 100mph now it's that it could do the same thing running 5k rpm instead of 6k at that speed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's fine.
My optimal cruising speed is 60mph.
Unfortunately many people I ride with, have sports bikes.
Good luck keeping up with them on wide open roads.
Once i hit 130, that's all she wrote.
Would be nice to get at least another 10mph out of this beast.
I know the engine can take it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Curious... whats the 28 tooth sprocket like in 4th or 5th?

Or is it only noticeable on the low gears?

Thanks,
Leon

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I'm with Morey on this. After putting 7000 miles on this bike, (with the stock sprocket) I figure HD has it just about right. If I were in a 6th gear, I'd likely have to downshift at 70 to accelerate. At 80 its just about perfect.
And since I switched to Syn, I never have any problems in first. After reading about the guy who put 80K miles on his bike, I'm not worried about longevity.

·
2,552 Posts
PLEASE get me a sixth gear:diablo: I am with Max. I ride allot between 80 and 90 with a 28 tooth front pulley I want, NO I need a sixth gear. With a sixth gear I would even consider a lower front gear. 5000 RPM at 90 mph would be real sweet.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Frank,
Put some Dryer Top Rods a set of Cams and a Race Tuner,and you have 11k redline all day Long!Figure out how fast you'd be going with your gearing to 11k!:eek:

·
2,552 Posts
Kaz,

After, I am done with cosmetics, then comes REAL performance. I will let you work out all the bugs first on your nickle:diablo: :cheers:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Frank Storms said:
Kaz,

After, I am done with cosmetics, then comes REAL performance. I will let you work out all the bugs first on your nickle:diablo: :cheers:
:rofl3: :cheers:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
:1: :yak:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Leon said:
Curious... whats the 28 tooth sprocket like in 4th or 5th?

Or is it only noticeable on the low gears?

Thanks,
Leon
I notice that the bike has more responsiveness in all gears. Cruising @ 70 mph turning 4600 rpm the bike literally jumps to 90 when I punch it.

I took a 200 mile trip Sunday averaging 65 - 70 mph (back roads and 4 other riders, all on ultras or road kings) and I got 41.5 mpg.

Sixth would be nice but I'm not going to remove the engine and split the case to get one. The cost of the upgrade buys a lot of gas when the difference in mpg is less than 1 :eek:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gentlmen, let's face it: the main appeal of the v-rod is the fact that it's the fastest stock h-d out there. Well, it is for me anyways.
I Would LOVE to get a sixth gear for those rare occasions when i really need it to keep up.
KAZ 11.5 RPM you say?? I wants it, I needs it.
That's exactly what i want, combine that with a 6th gear, and you have a reall street rocket. I wonder if engine modifications such as this, will void my warranty??

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
If you can Afford to build that you won't care about the Warranty!:deal:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts