Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the help i have we will be trying to get a 6.99 in the 1/8 mile with a stock motor stock belt drive and no gear change with the stock tire . there will be several mods but i want an opinion on what yall would consider to be stock.we will not be changing any internal rotating assembly in the motor or transmission. the bike will be my 06 night rod.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
can it be done? who has done it?

·
Banned
868 Posts
Last time out I ran 7.12 @ 103 in the 1/8.
Stock motor and wheels, 26 tooth front pulley and Boss Noss nitrous setup.
The bike and I weigh 850lbs +. The biggest problem is getting the stock 18" tire to hook up consistently with the power it takes to run a 6.99. I'm looking to get there. Next time out???:sinister:

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what size is the stock front pulley? also i'm not running any power adder it will be all motor.i have a 125lb rider as far as the stock tire goes your right i think that maybe the only thing i have to change.the rider has a 03 model and run 6.90s at rockingham last year. this year test and tune on the 12th before the races we will be getting an idea of where we are at.i expect some 7.30s or low 7.40s in the 1/8 if we have no traction problems.i have really been amazed at the stock dunlop thats on the bike it is a much better tire than its given credit for.

·
Banned
868 Posts
The stock front pulley on '06 nightrod is 28 tooth. You're planning to run 6's with stock motor at the stock weight with no power adders?? i don't think you can get there from here but good luck and keep us posted.

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
danasmith69 said:
The stock front pulley on '06 nightrod is 28 tooth. You're planning to run 6's with stock motor at the stock weight with no power adders?? i don't think you can get there from here but good luck and keep us posted.
:them: but let me know how you do it if you do, other than cutting my fat ass down to 125 :angeldev:

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its going to be a challenge weather has to be perfect the track has to be hookin'.i'm going to see the notes and the set up brian run, when he done it last year i have even a smaller rider to use if need be. but there are alot of factors to consider and the bike will have to be tuned to is peak performance.

·
Banned
868 Posts
thumbsupracing said:
:them: but let me know how you do it if you do, other than cutting my fat ass down to 125 :angeldev:
I'm with you, 215lbs now, 180 would be normal, 125 out of the question without sacrificing a leg.
Guess I'll have to cheat and use the nitrous:D

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i agree joe i think next year it will happen and without cracking the motor open what i consider stock is no power adder and the motor is as from the factory. but a tuner, exhaust regear maybe also better tire still constitutes(<---wow thats a big word) a stocker right?

·
Custom VRSCAWT
313 Posts
smokenjoe01 said:
Stock motor and wheelbase.= stock in my book!
and naturally asperated...

IMO supercharged, turbo'd and nitrious change no mechanical engine parts so in all reallity its still stock motor, otherwise, even a free flowing air filter could be considered a change to stock intake by changing incomming air flow although in a far more minor way.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes, no power adder but it will be topless and an extremly small rider. i wonder that if runing topless with out the painted air box cover would be good. or the top back on the air box without the painted cover. i have a few holes cut in the plastic cover what ya'll think? i think i'm crazy. but we gonna try like hell

·
Banned
837 Posts
I don't know much about racing, but...

How about losing some weight? They say seven pounds eaqual one horsepower.

A full exhaust system would save a big chunk right there. You could also run a lighter wheels. Take off the luggage rack if you have one. Remove the saddlebag support brackets, passenger peg mounts, and highway pegs. Come race day, you could remove the headlight, mirrors, turn signals, front fender, sprocket cover, belt guards, and kickstand. Leave the gas tank with 29 miles to empty. Take the change out of your pockets.

You might shave off 50 lbs of everyday stuff that's slowing you down.

·
Banned
837 Posts
More weight loss ideas

If you wanted to go radical you could convert to chain drive and use an Exile Cycles sprocket/rotor combo. Switch to a single front brake. Replace the whole rear subframe, fender and seat with some plastic aftermarket thing.

Take a look at the VRXSE Destroyer. It has the same engine/frame as our bikes, but it weighs 85lbs less.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
180lb rider it run a 7.65, the rider will be 140lb. i agree i think i will have to lose considerable weight off the bike. but he's not the primary rider he's going to help me with the new tach and shift light we will be changing shift points and the launch rpm from the 7.65 runs if we don't blow the tire off and the weather cooperatres we'll see what happens thursday or friday night.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
smokenjoe01 said:
6's on a stocker are not that unrealistic. I did it on my bike even before the Buell wheels and front end. Doug is a pretty big boy and he has been in the 6's consistently. http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=749920&postcount=26
He had to work the big end to get in the 10's. Keep practicing! It will come.
very nice bike but i don`t think 6.90`s with the stock wheels and belt drive is doable. if i am wrong i apologize. 1.56 60`s with stock gearing would take a extremely good rider. the clutch would have to be slipped very skillfully for 60 ft or further. if doug is that good i would love to have him ride our v-rod. our 88 incher has gone 6.23 at 113.9 in the 1/8 but could go faster if we had a rider of that ability.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
smokenjoe01 said:
6's on a stocker are not that unrealistic. I did it on my bike even before the Buell wheels and front end. Doug is a pretty big boy and he has been in the 6's consistently. http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=749920&postcount=26
He had to work the big end to get in the 10's. Keep practicing! It will come.
in my last post i may have spoke too soon. that 26 tooth front sprocket will give you enough gearing for 6.90`s in the 1/8. back in 2003 when we went 6.90`s with a stock motor a 30 tooth was all that was available and we had to put chain drive on it to get enough gear to run sixes. the rear sprocket looked like it belonged on a hill climber. we never did make it into the 10`s in the 1/4. we did run 11.06 119.9mph in the 1/4 and 6.98 101 in the1/8.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts