Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have the owners manual, So can someone tell me what is involved with the 5K Service, I have an '06 "R"
Any input would be great.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The 5k service is basically an oil change with a lot of fastener checks, a spark plug check and radiator clean. In other words a glorified oil change.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
V-Noob said:
lol, SO I guess I will be doing my own "5k Service". Thanx
If you're going to do your own service you really need the Service Manual (99501-06A, MSRP $60). I don't think you'll be able to do what's needed without it. The Owners Manual (99736-06A, MSRP $20) should have come with your bike. This is also good to have but won't provide the information needed to service your bike.

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Now that I have my own garage space, I am also planning on doing the 5k service by myself (heck, no need to pay $200 for an oil change and also restore all to factory to avoid worrying about losing warranty...).

Any specific fasteners to look out for? Do I really need a torque wrench for that....?

Thanks

·
FireBum
485 Posts
When I asked the dealer about this they said there is not much to it on a V Rod. Oil and filter, check all fluids, lube any joints ie; kick stand, shift linkage etc. They also said if I did it myself it would be a good idea to save reciepts and log it in a maint. journal. I did it and I'm sure I spent more time and care than they would have. It helped me learn more about my bike.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
if you are checking the plugs might as well change them out....$6.00

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback! Since I lack any tools here, I'll have to buy some; any specific torque wrench size/type I should be looking buying that would answer most of those requirements?

Thanks

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i think tools are a personal choice but i got an inch pounds and a foot pounds when i took the leap ... just so i could have what i need when i need it..i bought craftsman cause it was easy .. you may prefer something else

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
3OliveMartini said:
i think tools are a personal choice but i got an inch pounds and a foot pounds when i took the leap ... just so i could have what i need when i need it..i bought craftsman cause it was easy .. you may prefer something else
Craftsman is a good choice. There is a Sears store near everybody and for what most of us intend to do - Craftsman is more than adequate. Did I mention the lifetime warranty.

While you're there better pick up a set of metric hex wrenches and a metric socket set. Oh – and a 5/8 inch spark plug socket with a 12 inch extension for your 3/8 drive socket wrench will come in REAL handy!:D

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Snap On baby!!!

·
gRRR
239 Posts
OK - so now looking at the holiday deals at Sears they've got 2 nicely-priced torque wrenches:

- 3/8 in. square drive Wrench measures 10 to 75 ft. lb. in 0.5 ft. lb. increments
- 1/2 in. square drive Wrench measures 20 to 150 ft. lb. in 1 ft. lb. increments

The first one seems more in range with most bolts, except for the rear-axle nut. The 2nd seems an overkill and starts at 20ft.lb, which means I wont be able to use it in most cases (except for that rear-axle nut).

I am leaning towards the 1st one (10-75 ft.lb), thinking that I'll probably never switch the rear tire by myself anyway. What do you guys think?

Cheers

·
____
1,519 Posts
According to Harley...

Here is what is supposed to be done/checked at 5,000 miles:

Change oil and filter, clean magnetic drain plug
Inspect air cleaner, service as needed
Lubricate front brake lever, clutch lever, throttle cables, jiffy stand
Check battery condition, and connections
Check charging system output
Check lighting and horn operation
Inspect engine mounts and stabilizers
Inspect fuel lines and fittings for leaks
Inspect tires for tread depth, pressure, foreign objects
Inspect wheels, adjust spokes if needed
Inspect brake pads/disc for wear
Inspect brake fluid level and condition
Inspect clutch fluid level and condition
Inspect and adjust drive belt
Inspect shock absorbers
Inspect oil and brake lines for leaks
Check steering head bearing adjustment
Inspect cooling system level
Check cooling system freeze point
Road test

Like Max said, it's a glorified oil change...

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Check out chicagoharley.com for a service manual. got mine from them for $53 delivered

·
Jared
3,488 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
Snap On baby!!!
:them: :them:
must be a mechanic, i'd hate not having my snap on toolbox and tools.....crapsman is ok if your not doing super critical stuff, i do not have 1 crapsman tool (but i did buy gear wrenches from sears) all mine are snap on, blue point, or Mac, with the exception of my ingersoll rand 1/2" impact gun

1 - 17 of 17 Posts