Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crash came over this Friday and together we removed and installed new OEM plugs and did the other maintenance service. A few things we learned: 1) For some reason, after finishing up I noticed the check engine light came on after the engine fired and then went out. I did a code test and it read P 0113. I rode it for 200 mile loop though the South SF Bay area and yesterday attempted to clear the codes. This error code would not clear. So, I checked the code and found it related to the IAT sensor on the top of the airbox. I took off the painted lid, took the IAT sensor off and reattached it. I then ran the error code sequence to clear the codes and this time it cleared. I tested it and following firing the engine...the check engine light did not come on.

2) When installing the plugs, I followed the manual which clearly says to use an anti-seize compound on the threads. I did this and am careful to use a very small amount...enough to just barely fill in the lower 3 thread liness. While at the new House of Thunder HD dealership in Morgan Hill, Crash and I got to talking to a Tech who did 53 weeks of MMI in AZ plus went through Harley's PHD program. He said there is a bulletin out on VRODS that says to not use anti-seize compound on the plugs since it will interupt the heat transfer from the plug to the cyclinder. Anyone?

BTW: After 4,700 miles, the original plugs looked OK...tips, electrode and insulation were off white but the base had some black residue. In matching their look to the manual, it indicated the bike might be a touch too rich or idling too long particulary after a cold start.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I could be wrong, but I always use anti-sieze compound if the head is aluminum. Having one get "welded" to the threads once, was once too many for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts