Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there are any of you with AW's that have encountered a reach issue.

My AW is still being shipped, and being an anniversary model, I bought without even sitting on one. Is it enough to get the reach seat only, or should I consider the foot control extensions aswell?

·
Darren
2,007 Posts
I don't think you will need either one. I just witnessed Cupcake (who is 5'3", I think) riding with the stock seat and stock peg locations.

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
shinobi said:
Just wondering if there are any of you with AW's that have encountered a reach issue.

My AW is still being shipped, and being an anniversary model, I bought without even sitting on one. Is it enough to get the reach seat only, or should I consider the foot control extensions aswell?
If you can find an 07 AW in the dealership's show room it will be very close to the 08 dimensions, in fact it should be the same.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm 5'8" and with the stock setup on my 06 A model I don't have enough leg room. I feel like I need to stretch out more. I am not sure if the dimensions are the same for your 08 or not but it should be pretty close. I am adding drag bars and a Willie G seat to get some more room.

·
Registered
661 Posts
If it helps, the sundowner seat moves you about an inch forward, and also very comfy.

·
Registered
741 Posts
5"6"-5'7" but a real short inseam, for anyone that rides bicycles, I ride a 52cm frame road bike.

When I bought my 03 a few months ago it already had the reach pegs on it. I cant get my heals over the top of the pegs but have no problem riding it either. Stand over height is perfect and the bars reach perfect.

This winter I will be drawing up and machining some billet controls to move them back and up a bit more without moving them so damm far out

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
3OliveMartini said:
depends on what your inseam is ....

I have a 30 inseam and am 5'7.I've sat on 2 of the models you're getting and I fit perfect.The 08 seat is nice,compared.My 03 A model has the seat lowered and is an inch further back than stock and I fit real good on this bike.

I'd ride the bike for a couple thousand miles first.There are alot of things to get used to on a new bike,sometimes it takes as long as 6 mos to become familiar w a new bike.

Harley makes a real nice reduced reach seat for the 07's and 08's,it's ugly as hell though.I have one on my X,because of the drag bars.I swapped the cover from the original.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
George
5,411 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
3OliveMartini said:

I have a 30 inseam and am 5'7.I've sat on 2 of the models you're getting and I fit perfect.The 08 seat is nice,compared.My 03 A model has the seat lowered and is an inch further back than stock and I fit real good on this bike.

I'd ride the bike for a couple thousand miles first.There are alot of things to get used to on a new bike,sometimes it takes as long as 6 mos to become familiar w a new bike.

Harley makes a real nice reduced reach seat for the 07's and 08's,it's ugly as hell though.I have one on my X,because of the drag bars.I swapped the cover from the original.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:
Geez Al..... didn't you have a problem with reaching the ground in Okee????:chair: :chair: :bash: :bash: :spank:

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
3OliveMartini said:

and i think cupcake has reduced reach pegs.. and a cfr seat maybe? its not a stocker
That is correct. I have the CFR Seat and Reduced Reach Pegs.

Shinobi, I would imagine if you got reduced reach pegs, you would be fine with the stock seat. I would go for reduced reach pegs, before buying a new seat. Much cheaper. Plus, depending on what aftermarket seat you go with, it may not scoot you any closer.

Oh, I am 5'3"....and I don't get any of my "so-called height" in my legs. I would say I have a longer torso for my height...

·
Registered
182 Posts
shinobi said:

I'm 5'7" , 28" inseam, 29" arms, 65 years old. After trying all combos of seats, bars, pegs etc. and spending a few thousand miles, the combo I am most comfortable with is stock pegs, reduced reach seat with butt buffers insert, and reduced reach bars. I have done another 10-12K this way and have no desire to change. Hope that helps.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i have the willie g seat and stock pegs.. with reduced reach bars.. i am thinking of changing the bars though.. it was the seat that did the most for me .. got me right where i wanted my feet.. my inseam is 32"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the very valuable input. I'll definately put a hold on the controls and seat. I'll feel the bike out for a few months and make a decision then.

I guess what got me thinking I would need these extras was after I sat on an
08 DX Special. My entire calf was hard pressed against the exhaust while reaching for the rear brake. I guess the positioning of the AW is a little more rider friendly for the vertically impaired.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a stock seat and I am 5'8" and have no prob reaching the pegs. Don't sweat it.......get ready to have a blast!:moped:

·
Registered
182 Posts
shinobi said:
Thanks for the very valuable input. I'll definately put a hold on the controls and seat. I'll feel the bike out for a few months and make a decision then.

I guess what got me thinking I would need these extras was after I sat on an
08 DX Special. My entire calf was hard pressed against the exhaust while reaching for the rear brake. I guess the positioning of the AW is a little more rider friendly for the vertically impaired.
I took a test ride on a 08 DX and found myself sitting half on the tank to reach the bars, obviously not the best situation, when I got off back at the dealer I said that I would need some kind of reach bar to even ride safely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts