Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a brand new nightrod, had 30 miles. Rode it around town until 200, then went on a long trip to 500 miles. Didn't go fast but maintained freeway speed. THEN I just read in the manual for the first 500 miles try to not maintain a constant speed for long periods. Now I am sad and worried my motor isn't primo! :\ am I being overly scared?

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Nothing to worry about. I rode mine home 100 miles on the highway when I bought it and I didn't vary the speed much :hidesbeh: Best thing to do is find some good size hills and do some engine braking to help the rings seat. Your bike will be fine though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wouldnt worry about. The break in period recommendation is to prolong the life of the engine. Unless you went stop light drag racing, I wouldnt lose any sleep.

·
Road rash hurts!!!!
191 Posts
Bought a brand new nightrod, had 30 miles. Rode it around town until 200, then went on a long trip to 500 miles. Didn't go fast but maintained freeway speed. THEN I just read in the manual for the first 500 miles try to not maintain a constant speed for long periods. Now I am sad and worried my motor isn't primo! :\ am I being overly scared?
I did same thing after 5k had too have engine rebuilt then after 6k had to have bike fully rebuilt now at 17k its goin great. :hidesbeh:

:dance:

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Whats done is done,just enjoy the bike!

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
You probably have not adequately broken in the engine, that's why the manufacturer tells you not to ride at a constant speed during the first few hundred miles.

Take your bike out and do some runs up and back down the tach. What I mean is get to second or third gear, run it up under modest acceleration to 6000 rpm or so, then let it come back down to around 3000 rpm under deceleration. Repeat. A few times. Then let the bike rest and cool down while you do a lemonaide. Or something. Take the bike back out and do it all again, but less modestly and up to 7000 or 7500 rpm. Get another lemonaide. Your last runs should be under wide open throttle (WOT) right to the rev limiter. Then all the way back down. Again. Some more. Now, take it home, drain the oil, change the filter, and refill with Amsoil.

When you are done, you will have a broken in engine, will have made a new friend, and learned a lot about lemonaide. Now, go ride!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't know how valid this information is but I was told the main reason for variation in speed is for the main bearing. Altering the speed will help lubricate it prevent any damage.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
You can't hurt it. Worst case scenerio is to cause the piston rings to take longer to "seat", wont hurt anything except oil consumption.

I recommend trying to destroy the engine while it's still new. High RPMs, launches from stops and plenty of bouncing the limiter. If the engine's a lemon figure it out quick.

frankly IMO (not to be listened to) I think the bearings "break in" before you get it out of the drive way, then the cams by the time you get to the corner, then what's left is the piston ring seal.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
just ride the bike. the harder the better. the revo was built to be ridden hard.(no pun intended)
I left the dealership spinning the rear tire, went to the dragstrip 200 miles and next day and other than rear tires and clutches Ive had 12000 miles of happy motoring.....:banghead: cant figure out the clutch and tire issue thou. some people claim to get 15K out of clutch but not me :hidesbeh:

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
You can't hurt it. Worst case scenerio is to cause the piston rings to take longer to "seat", wont hurt anything except oil consumption.

I recommend trying to destroy the engine while it's still new. High RPMs, launches from stops and plenty of bouncing the limiter. If the engine's a lemon figure it out quick.

frankly IMO (not to be listened to) I think the bearings "break in" before you get it out of the drive way, then the cams by the time you get to the corner, then what's left is the piston ring seal.
:them:

·
Banned
14,891 Posts

I believe the factory does a short run where cams are broke-in before delivery. 20 minutes low rpm's or so. I don't think any manufacturer would let loose a an engine with zero time on it. Cars or bikes.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've ridden my 08 DXA like i stole it and have never had an oil consumption issue. Harley's Standard break in procedure is fine for air cooled bikes but this bike isn't so their standard practice just doesn't work.

·
COLEROD
334 Posts
Easy?

When you buy a new lawnmower,weed eater, chain saw,etc.....You don't run them "easy" for a few hours do ya? Ride it like you stole it, It'll last longer.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts