Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hya fellas,

I am planning a w/e trip (currently by myself) starting early Friday 5.Oct from Austin to Big Bend (I've never been there...). Here's my planned route:

Day1: Austin-Balmorhea (415m)
- pretty boring, maybe some Hill Country routes but then Highway 10
Day2: Balmorhea-Kent-Marathon (338m)
- nicest twisty/scenic rides! TX-118 till Studdy Butte, then TX-170 to Presidio, then according to time and physical status either on the TX-67 or TX-385 (longer and through the Big Bend park) to Marathon
Day3: Marathon-Rio Grande-Austin (~400m)
- highway 90 to Rio Grande and then probably straight north to Austin (maybe another Hill Country ride on the way - or via San Antonio depending on time...)
Total: 1161miles

I'll try to start off early mornings (even thought I am not really a morning person), in order to avoid driving in the dark (I'd hate to crash into an animal and not been found for days ;-)
As you can tell I am planning on average 400miles a day, should be doable with my non-so-cruiser-StreetRod (no windscreen, no bags :) I am going to stay at some cheap BB in Balmorhea and Marathon, gotta rest on a normal bed after so much riding... ;-)

If anyone wants to join for any stretch during this w/e, you are more than welcome! If anyone has any tips / feedback, let me know, would be most appreciated!
Either way, I'll be posting a full report (with as many photos as possible) once I am back...

Peace

·
Ryan
4,192 Posts

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I had more time to announce it, my wife only gave me the "w/e freecard" this Monday ;-)

I do hope I can drive that much a day, I did usually go around 320m a day in Austria and that was on country curvy roads (and with a Vulcan 800)... I guess time will tell.
Since I am taking my GPS with me I'll be tracking every mile on the way so I'll post it once I am back :D

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
I loved that trip! Did it a couple years ago. We camped in Marathon and rode the big circle to Teralinga.

Your daily miles are a tad ambitious. Drink a lot of water and stop when tired.

Ride safe :thumb:

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This would be my first long-trip with this bike, so I'll probably have to adjust accordingly (hopefully that gel-padded seat will pay off). Luckily, I am quite flexible with work times so if I am just too tired I'll stay Sunday night somewhere on the way and continue my way home on Monday (emergency plans are always good ;-)

I am so excited to finally tour Texas with my new bike! I've been waiting for this for some time now, and figured "it's now or never" (I am on a 1year temporary assignment in Texas).

I'll make sure to post my "post-trip" photos once I am back...

C'ya

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1200miles in 3 days

Alright, I am back and happier than ever... :dance:

Was a great ride, had to change the plans a bit due to the festival in Marfa but I did get to see everything I wanted...

Bike VRSCR with stock mufflers (PCIII, Amsoil filter NOT-Topless):
- my multi-high-tech-tank-bag was amazing (connected to the battery). GPS worked non-stop tracking the route and sometimes the iPod playing music (on those long stretches)
- map was on the rich side (I swear I could sometimes smell the gasoline in the air box), around ~30 MPG. Fuel gauge (the "R"emaining display) is very inaccurate
- windshield feels more and more needed especially for those long ride. In general it wasn't so bad except for the high-speedway, I found myself most of leaning forward on the airbox (strong flash-backs from my CBR years). Still on the fence between a fixed mini-flyscreen or a temporary touring one
- stock seat with gel pads was superb. Previously I could ride about ~150miles before I'd start feeling sore, now I had around 400miles a day and no soreness whatsoever
- my engine drinks that HD Syn3 oil like water. Almost a quart per 1000miles. I am going to switch to Amsoil on my 5k service
- rear tire seems to have lost lots of thread (can easily slide it now). I'll be changing those Dunlops to Metzlers soon

Friday:
- left around 9am and drove through Fredericksburg (breakfast) straight to Balmoreha on highway 10. It was definitely the hardest/longest engine test my bike had to endure, and yes I've discovered the rev-limiter on 5th gear (130mph)
- leaving through the Hill Country was like driving through a shooting range. The amount of bugs I've killed must have been a terrible day for bugs in that area... My Phoenix mash-jacket&pants kept me cool but it was a bit harder to get those nasty yellow gut out than on a leather jacket
- obviously, exactly 10 miles from Balmoreha it started raining... Wasn't too wet but refreshing

Saturday:
- left around 8am to Kent, and then on 118. Stopped on McDonald observatory (awesome view)
- the 118 was one of the nicest rides, even thought the pavement wasn't that good (waves)
- drove down to Terlingua, and from there to Presideo. This piece was the nicest curvy road I had my whole trip
- then to Marfa, and from there to Sanderson for the night. This was the only time I had to drive in dark for about 1h (not too bad). Almost no cars (passed by 2 bikers) but mostly afraid about animals - lots of roadkills along the way

Sunday:
- left around 8am to Del Rio, was a very strange ride. Empty highway, vast open space driving into the sun (lucky thought as it was cloudy)
- the drive from Bracketville to Kerville was beautiful, amazing twisties in the mountains

I truly enjoyed this ride (SOLO). Lots of time to think, great open spaces as long as the eye can see, combined with some good-ol' twisties and great weather made this a memorable trip.
Amazing that I drove 1200miles in 3 days and only saw a fraction of Texas...!

See some photos

See the route in Google Maps

·
Registered
86 Posts
Very nice, I'll keep an eye out for future posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts