Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
have been thinking about a new DX for the longest time,sat on one today at the not very helpful local dealer here in Argentina,I am 5,2
can reach the floor and move the bike around,have been looking at Rizoma mids from the UK (very nice and very expensive).
I could go with the reach bars or Sundowner also,I have raced grasstrack sidecar for some years so the power is not the problem,
they are very expensive here (29600 us) is it possible,anyone out there who is close to my height can give me the "green light"
first time on this forum. Thanks to all

·
boo
5,211 Posts
if you can reach the ground you can ride. plenty of other mods you can make, to make it work

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yep, mids and a lower seat should do the trick. Reduce reach bars might also help, if needed.

·
09 VRSCDX
22 Posts
Pull the trigger,u won't regret it.I've got the reach seat and pegs and bars pulled back a bit.Tell them to throw them in at no extra cost,they did for me!U quickly get used to it .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,
The HD dealer did not seem to know much,I will go back friday,I am on R&R at the moment,so I have some time,I will get back on it again
and make my decision.He did mention he will check if the shocks can be adjusted/changed but I think the DX is prone to bottoming out?
Is the sundowner lower/narrower? I can not test ride the bike due to
insurance issues (Argentina) but am thinking of waiting till Febuary
when I should be able to test ride one at the Dubai dealership.
Thanks again guys.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
you dont really want to put shorter shocks on it (though some people do). sundowner will move you up an inch or so. reduced reach pegs and bars will help too

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
spend the money on some air shocks...you can raise/lower them on the fly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Couldn't swing to spend over a g on quality mids from rizoma, so instead I picked up some mids from a d model from another member for way less. Plus factory fit and finish.

·
Registered
164 Posts
your height should not be a factor, as long as you can hold it up. just look at most sport bikes with their 32-34 inch seat height. and not to mention motocross bikes with their jacked up suspensions. you being 5"2 should not be an issue. at least in my opinion. as long as you can hold the bike up and get at least one foot on the ground while the other rest on the shift peg, you should be fine. maybe not the most comfortable but you can still ride. you are not the only person that is 5"2 and riding bikes, so just look at them. their shorter height is not a factor.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
If you look in my gallery there are a couple of pics of what i did to bring the foot controls up and back 2.5",a fairly inexpensive mod,I also fitted bars and clamshell from the vrsca as I did not like the stretch to the dx bars these were sourced from ebay fairly cheaply.If you want any details pm me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes you are quite right,I will pull the trigger soon,I think I will get the Arnotts (12") air ride,I think my main concern was the weight of the bike when parking for example,I am looking at the new black bars also
4" pullback however I don,t want to loose the style of the bike.Does anyone know what is the drop on the Arnotts from stock I think 2" according to my research,I will keep you informed,will jump on the bike this Friday.Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Go ahead and get the stock 13" length arnott's. They will be fine and since they are air you can adjust them to suit your needs without sacrificing the clearance of the bike except when you are running them lowered with a 12" shock if you pick up a passenger or start to aggressively ride it through the turns you will be dragging bits..

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am 5'6" with extremely weak legs from a childhood illness (like polio). To give you an idea of my lack of strength, I cannot walk up stairs without pulling myself up with handrails. I still ride, and have a DX. I would think that strength (or lack thereof) is more significant than leg length, and it's no problem for me. I did put the Reach seat on the bike, which helped. Because of my short legs, I find the front pegs somewhat uncomfortable for longer rides. I put mid pegs (not mid controls, though) and they are fabulous for the long haul. I'd highly recommend doing that. Best of luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aggreko

It is looking like Febuary before I will get it,spoke again with HD and the guy was much more informed than the last salesman,I will go with the mids and maybe 13" shocks.

Thanks guitarhead.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
cupcake is like 5'3" and she had no probs with forwards.. i am not that tall..

i have 11.5" shocks and a willie g seat and i have plenty of reach...i have a 32" inseam...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts