Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, went with the 12" 440 shocks and ran into some small problems. Installing them on an 06 D and had to use the stock spacers on top to get them to line up straight, otherwise using the supplied spacers they angled in at the top. Then on the left side the bottom bolt went in too far and was going to hit the sprocket. Ended up using the supplied spacer for the top to put on outside of shock and move bolt out enough. However, the shock still rubs on my belt guard so gonna have to go to hardware store and find a couple more spacers to move them out a tad so they don't rub.

Then took it for a spin and immediately scraped my CFT pipe on a tight right hander. Ended up flipping the bracket around that attaches at the back of the pipe so now the pipe is tucked just a tad below the foot peg and also moved it in a bit. Probably should have been mounted this way in the first place, but live and learn. Just a small scrape on the pipe right at a rivet and very hard to see unless you are looking at it. Sounded ugly though lol.

Still have to do the front springs, but that seems a tad more involved lol.

Glenn

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, here are the pics of using the stock spacer on top, dual spacers on the bottom, and where I am still rubbing on the belt guard on the left side.

Glenn

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
I found out about the rub when I sold my chrome belt cover. Apparently this is common. Enjoy the shocks, I love mine.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
i just put some shorter bolts in my lower eye

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yep, had the same right side angled problem when I put 12" ers on. Just put the larger spacer inside at the top to even it out, works fine.

How do you like the 440's?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
With the Progressive shocks you use the stock spacers AND the supplied spacers to get the proper offset so what you ended up having to do was in fact the proper way to install them.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not really put them through their paces yet and don't have the front springs in. As soon as I took it for a spin I discovered the pipe issue and came back to remedy that before I messed that up too much.

Glenn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts