Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
brett
Joined
·
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just orderd my 412 s from hogpro, i asked them and they didnt know and will get back to me,what i wanted to know is ,are you able to get chrome mounting hardware for them ,does anyone have any part numbers handy or where you get it from,...also is there any special mounting process needed,like the 440s where you need the stock and progressive spacers together to get the shocks vertical,,.or do the 412s just bolt straight on,...my bike is an 07 aw,,,,thanks guys and girls oops ,,sorry forgot to say ive gone 12.5 legth,,,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
One think I would suggest is to make sure Jerry knows your bike is an 07. With the wider frame the spacers are going to be different.

while I dont have progressives, I just installed legends and they came with 06 spacers which were 14.5 mm on top. When I got them on and took one look at them I knew something had to be wrong. When I got the correct spacers they were a fraction of that....
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
i spent about 2 hours getting mine lined up right and getting them mounted. i used the stock bolts up top with the supplied sleeve to adapt it top the bolt size.. then on the bottom i used a shorter bolt and bolted it right up... mine are straight but they were rubbing my fender up front, so I cut a piece of velcro (the soft side) and stuck it on the cap of the shock so that it wouldnt be making direct contact with the fender// works great for me. I am running 11.5" shocks
 

·
Jeff/Modistrator
Joined
·
6,136 Posts
I am shocked!! (pun intended, c'mon, we're in a shock thread, lol) Travis finally has pics in his gallery!! :D Looks good man!!
 

·
brett
Joined
·
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks venomouse,do you think it will be the same for 12,5 or maybe the extra inch will clear it,,

and is there not a standard chrome mounting kit for these if you lower 1/2 an inch
 

·
brett
Joined
·
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just had a look at travisis gallery ,bike looks good dude,but if im not mistaken arent they 440s you have on ,cos my question is about 412s and im hoping they are a bit different in size and therefore probably different in spacers and bolts can someone let me know if or if not there is a difference cos if they are same i think i know what to do,,,,lol,,,,,, thanks
 

·
VRSCD's Rule!
Joined
·
4,160 Posts
While your waiting for the spacers, go to the hardware store with your bottom bolt. Get some stainless washers, about 20 of them. That's what I did with my 440's. The 440's and the 412's are very similar in dimensions.

The washers don't look great, but you can ride your bike and set preload while your waiting.
 

·
Jeff/Modistrator
Joined
·
6,136 Posts
Tim,
Are those the progressives you bought here? They look nice on the bike.
 

·
VRSCD's Rule!
Joined
·
4,160 Posts
Yep, they have a couple of scuffs on the collars but turn them inside and no one notices. I finally got my preload set just right 4 turns each and love the ride.
 

·
brett
Joined
·
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks ,will do that if i cant get the right spacers in time ,but my order hasnt been sent from hogpro yet ,trying to get it all together and right first time around
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
bwds said:
just had a look at travisis gallery ,bike looks good dude,but if im not mistaken arent they 440s you have on ,cos my question is about 412s and im hoping they are a bit different in size and therefore probably different in spacers and bolts can someone let me know if or if not there is a difference cos if they are same i think i know what to do,,,,lol,,,,,, thanks
mine are 412's as far as I know..I ordered 412's for the rear and the progressive lowering kit for the forks all for $290 shipped and thats what I recieved in the mail. I do wish I had done the HD springs in mine though.

I had quite a few people tell me not to run the hd springs that I wouldnt like it....i unfortunately listened and now I cant get my shocks quite firm enough. Not to mention if I decide to ride a passenger she better weigh less than 10 lbs.
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
bwds said:
thanks venomouse,do you think it will be the same for 12,5 or maybe the extra inch will clear it,,

and is there not a standard chrome mounting kit for these if you lower 1/2 an inch
i have never found a chrome mounting kit for the shocks unfortunately.. if I could find one I would buy it too!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
210 Posts
thinking of doing the same with exception (440's) progressive fronts too. cant decide stock lengths or lowered> any suggestions? dont think there is any benefit of lowering, other than looks... any input guys? also anyone have a good picture you can forward with it lowered so I can see the actual look?
 

·
VRSCD's Rule!
Joined
·
4,160 Posts
rrk0818 said:
thinking of doing the same with exception (440's) progressive fronts too. cant decide stock lengths or lowered> any suggestions? dont think there is any benefit of lowering, other than looks... any input guys? also anyone have a good picture you can forward with it lowered so I can see the actual look?
It's just killer looks. It will reduce your lean angle a bit, so if you take the curves pretty hard, you will scrape.
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
bwds said:
im only going to 12,5 ,thatll do me ,
12 or 12.5 will lower it and make it look nice and still give you the option of riding a passenger... i could ride a hot chick if I wanted to with mine sitting on the the ground
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
VenomousSVT said:
mine are 412's as far as I know..I ordered 412's for the rear and the progressive lowering kit for the forks all for $290 shipped and thats what I recieved in the mail. I do wish I had done the HD springs in mine though.

I had quite a few people tell me not to run the hd springs that I wouldnt like it....i unfortunately listened and now I cant get my shocks quite firm enough. Not to mention if I decide to ride a passenger she better weigh less than 10 lbs.
I am thinking of the 412s as well. Couple ?

1, I weigh about 195, never ride double. HD springs or not?

2. Is 12 1/2 the stock length?
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
gregbenner said:
I am thinking of the 412s as well. Couple ?

1, I weigh about 195, never ride double. HD springs or not?

2. Is 12 1/2 the stock length?


1. i weigh 195 as well and when i hit a big bump i bottom out with the springs at their hardest setting.. i wish i would have done the HD springs rather than listen to everyone else.

2. depends on the bike.. the AW has a 13.5 shock, the dx is a 12.5" shock
 

·
brett
Joined
·
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i went with the hd springs as i want to be able to go two up ,will let you know how they go when i get them,
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top