Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got done with some other projects, cleaned up my shop this evening and tore into the 1320 (zippers kit (uses Wiseco pistons)) that I took in as a core for the 1250 I had in the classified section a few months ago. When I first talked to the buyer, (now a member of the forum), he said that the motor was still stong, but it was making more noise than it had been, but it was still making good power. Since I had seen this two times before with the 4-1/4" bore Wiseco pistons, I suspected at least one of the pistons skirts had broken off like the others I rebuild. When the bike arrived here back at the end of October for the transplant, it sounded just like the others. One was a 1550 (1/2" stroke), the other 1430 (1/4" stroke).

When I took off the pan tonight, sure enough, there was a complete piston skirt. Since this engine was the stock stroke, but still had the same failure as the other two stroked engines, I see no reason to not to expect skirt failures whenever the Wiseco 4-1/4" pistons are used, regardless of the stroke. This build had around 11K miles on it and from the pictures you can see the other piston already had cracked on both ends and just a matter of time before it broke off as well.

I plan to build this one back as a 1373 (CP pistons and Destroyer crank). It already has ported heads and 1mm oversized valves and a 58mm throttle body. I will be going back with a crank brace and both crank and head studs along with an '08 slipper clutch. Should be 140ish RWHP. Anyone need a turnkey engine for an 04 and earlier model???

Attachments

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
. Since this engine was the stock stroke, but still had the same failure as the other two stroked engines, I see no reason to not to expect skirt failures whenever the Wiseco 4-1/4" pistons are used, regardless of the stroke.
I would have to agree with this logic... FWIW, has wiseco said anything to anyone about this?

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Well I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one sportin' one of those fancy expensive "Unisaw" workbenches :)

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a PEEP :stilpoke:

Deja vu all over again....... :barf:
Yeah, you, me, Lonnie and these 2 customer engines. If that is not a design flaw, I don't know what is!!

If you ever got a response back from Wiseco on your failure, send me a PM.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
knock on wood .. we haven`t had a failure with our wiseco`s but we don`t put that kind of mileage on our bike,, short trips to the track and lots of 1/8 mile passes.. sure hope they hang...

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Yeah, you, me, Lonnie and these 2 customer engines. If that is not a design flaw, I don't know what is!!

If you ever got a response back from Wiseco on your failure, send me a PM.
There have been others also. I cannot think of the names right now. Then people wonder why I tell them I will not build an engine for them with Wiseco pistons?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
People are still putting these pistons in their bikes? Really?

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Ouch!

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
Good info Frank. Thank you for the heads up.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
I was warned about using those pistons years ago. They never last very long.

·
all or nothing
1,373 Posts
Is there any marks of piston to cyl. head contact?
How thick head gaskets?

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there any marks of piston to cyl. head contact?
How thick head gaskets?
Nope, no marks on the tops from contact (on any of the three engines I have personally rebuilt).

On this engine the gaskets were real thick, .060". I normally set the piston height to the top of the liner and use a .040" gasket.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
we run ours at .035 piston to head clearance..we also polydyne the pistons ,, no idea if that helps with longevity or not ..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts