Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a 3M vinyl wrap product on air box skin this week and wanted to share. I am not a vinyl wrap guy and have no experience with this product or any other vinyl wrap.
I have seen other carbon vinyl products and thought... it looks fake. This however did not make me think that in any way, so I ordered.
I am very impressed! It has depth, dimension and texture.. looks amd feels so real from every angle.
It was a bit of a learning curve but in the end looks very real and as if a professional did it, not because I am good at it... because its about impossible not to get right.
At a few points I thought I just ruined 100.00 of vinyl but just pealed back and heated slightly with heat gun... like being able to rewind time when you f*ck up.
At local harley dealer 10th anniversary party this weekend it was center of attraction, I also was asked how much I charge! LOL

A few tips..
1. dont use squegee it to make it smooth, use clean hands and pull. I found that squegee can scratch surface, it has no clear coat. When I say scratch, its more like a blemish and fade not thru vinyl, if you look close at picture 3 top left of tank has one of these marks.
2. this stuff can be peeled and reapplied many times so buy enough to practice with, meaning using same piece on a few items with different shapes and curves, doesnt have to be on bike.
3. working with to much material makes it harder to manage which will frustrate you, but dont short yourself cutting to short. Use newspaper to figure general surface area and amount needed.
4. remember if heated... it stretches! this theory takes place of a relief cut for the most part, I had no relief cuts in airbox cover.
5. DONT OVERHEAT and try to stretch, to hot is like pulling bubbalicious apart. Also dont overstretch there is a pattern to carbon and its not wavy ~~~~ LOL
6. Again... tip #1
7. Again... tip #2
8. dont practice wifes jewlery box :( and if you do dont get caught :)

Becuase I am cursed with having everything 100% perfect this will be done over due to blemish created by squegee then I plan to do airbox vents (last to gain more experience), maybe fenders, horn cover and helmet.

Can be washed, sun does not seem to effect even over long periods.

if you google it there are a few videos.

Attachments

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
very nice!

·
Throttle Happy!
797 Posts
Hmmmmm, Impressive...

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
nice, good job

·
CEMIRT Lifer
524 Posts
Looks good. I may try this out on my Tahoe. Do you have a vendor or source?

·
Registered
7 Posts
DiNoc

Hi, I got an Osbe helmet from Ebay which was meant to be mat black when it come it was silver ! Well I coated it with DiNoc but only key parts and it looks so cool now. Also on UK muscle the reg plate holder is too plasticy so out come the DiNoc. Very impressed with the stuff .:)

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
That came out very nice !!!! and from a guy with more posts than Hotfoot .. hehehehe

·
ELMO
74 Posts
That looks amazing.

Sam

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
That came out very nice !!!! and from a guy with more posts than Hotfoot .. hehehehe
I like it so much I might do it.... less posts but more comittment :deal:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts