Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a completely new braking system discussed on "bikernet.com". It eliminates the entire conventional system that we are all so used to. You should check it out. In "bikernet.com, use their google search engine and enter "360 brekes". Scroll down the findings to "360 Brakes". It's patented and already tested by many name bike builders; it's quite amazing.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
You could just tell us a little about it here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a new concept in breaking that eliminates all that your used to. You should really go to the site to see the pictures and read the text.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I personaly have had dealings with this company on the manufacturing end, and I would not buy anything from them to put on my bike.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
IMHO the site is so spammed up that it is hard to find anything.

I have seen these brakes in person and talked to a sales person in Las Vegas about them a couple of months ago. I still think they are far from affordable and probably years from being anything except found on the extreme custom builders bike.

·
The Hawk
3,889 Posts
I saw an article on that brake setup in one of the bike mags while waiting for a flight at the airport last week. Basically it is a small self contained clutch setup that is operated in reverse, it has a disk in the center, and friction pads on both sides of it with a donut shaped hydrolic cylinder that applies the pressure. The whole unit is about 4" in diameter and fits over the axel, bolts to the wheel hub. They say it works very well and it is so small that it does not block the view of custom wheels. They even had a large exploded parts diagram in the article. Very interesting but they didn't list any prices.

Mike

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Interesting, but I'm REAL happy with Brembo's performance and reputation. I guess it's not a stretch to say I stake my life on it. When it comes to brake technology, I have no desire to be an early adopter. Again, it sounds interesting, but a 4" disk sounds awfully small for the forces it has to deal with.

·
Formerly BobK
647 Posts
If you go to www.360brake.com you will find all the info. The other site was just giving their opinion. The price for the whole thing is $995. Search around their site and look at the gallery, it does look pretty cool.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is an interesting setup and I can see that it would work good. My concern would be the heat. They mentioned that it doesn't fade as much under heat than standard brakes, but I don't see much in the way of venting. So even if it does work better, I think you would go through brake pads fairly quick once that heat builds up. Also there mention about gyroscopic forces having an effect when braking is a bunch of crap to me. The rear tire lifts mostly due to the moment of the bike and you being higher than the axle.
Besides, when it comes to brakes I'll let someone else work all the bugs out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have not used the product. But I have done polishing and plating for them. They use good material sometimes and bad material the next. They also have problems with making the parts right and do not have the money to pay their bills or buy material.

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
I really find it hard to believe that it can stop better that two 13" disc's with 6 piston PM's. I suppose it's a novelty look, but I like my big disc's thanks.

·
nevr have never will
338 Posts
It looks like the drum brakes on some old dirt bikes we used to ride....only shinier! It is a clean look, but better than what we have now! ....I'm skeptical at best.

-Dave

·
The Hawk
3,889 Posts
I think if you do the math on the friction area for this new system and the ones we have now, the new system will have more square inches of friction contact. The zinger is in the heat dissipation ability as this new one is so small there is no heat sink or finned area to get rid of heat. The jury is still out.

Mike

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Elgavilan said:
I saw an article on that brake setup in one of the bike mags while waiting for a flight at the airport last week. Basically it is a small self contained clutch setup that is operated in reverse, it has a disk in the center, and friction pads on both sides of it with a donut shaped hydrolic cylinder that applies the pressure. The whole unit is about 4" in diameter and fits over the axel, bolts to the wheel hub. They say it works very well and it is so small that it does not block the view of custom wheels. They even had a large exploded parts diagram in the article. Very interesting but they didn't list any prices.

Mike
That mag is the new HOT BIKE.

And, I think MAX is right on with his thoughts....

Max said:
I have seen these brakes in person and talked to a sales person in Las Vegas about them a couple of months ago. I still think they are far from affordable and probably years from being anything except found on the extreme custom builders bike.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
Interesting, but I'm REAL happy with Brembo's performance and reputation. I guess it's not a stretch to say I stake my life on it. When it comes to brake technology, I have no desire to be an early adopter. Again, it sounds interesting, but a 4" disk sounds awfully small for the forces it has to deal with.

I have to agree with Steppenwolf on this point.... "When it comes to brake technology, I have no desire to be an early adopter"

·
Ride Free, Alex!!!
1,422 Posts
Looks like the old coaster brake on my first Schwinn...! Hmmmmmm...not to keen on being on the "bleeding edge" of technology when it comes to brakes. There may be more swept braking area, but there's still the issue of heat dissipation.

Just MHO...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
This brake has been around for a long time.I've worked w some on cranes and firetrucks.As the turntable slowly comes to a halt the brake is applied to stop the table and keep it from moving once it stops.These are slow moving brakes bathed in oil. I too wonder what affect heat will have on the system,also the long term abuse that a regular street vehicle would give to it.
I guess if the material used was compatable w the heat it would work well,look at the abuse a centrifugal clutch on a gocart or mini bike is put through.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
91 Posts
Elgavilan said:
I think if you do the math on the friction area for this new system and the ones we have now, the new system will have more square inches of friction contact. The zinger is in the heat dissipation ability as this new one is so small there is no heat sink or finned area to get rid of heat. The jury is still out.

Mike

I would be most concerned about the radius of application of the pads say 2" compared to the leverage found in a typical 13" disk gives.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
SteveO said:
I would be most concerned about the radius of application of the pads say 2" compared to the leverage found in a typical 13" disk gives.
:them:
Concur. The area of the friction application cannot overcome the diameter of the disc. It's math! It's physics! Look at the XB brakes - that's the leading edge, not this thing. One of the reasons disc brakes work better is the diameter of the disc is larger than the drums they replaced!!!!
BTW, the ad copy is so full of bull I could not believe it! Weight transfer is going to happen - and unless this thing is linked to the suspension, somehow, this is hooey! For a show bike, fine. For a slow bike, maybe. For a V? NO WAY!!! Appear to be "display only" Looks good, don't work! Joe :bs:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts