Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one make a front pulley with more cogs than the stock 30 tooth? Thinking about sone changes over the winter and this would fit in well. (Guess I got excited when Jan-Dirk accidently posted he had a 32 tooth pulley.)
Thanks, Bruce

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Bruce Helland said:
Does any one make a front pulley with more cogs than the stock 30 tooth? Thinking about sone changes over the winter and this would fit in well. (Guess I got excited when Jan-Dirk accidently posted he had a 32 tooth pulley.) ...
Even if you could find one (or have it made) you'd have trouble getting a belt to fit, and a custom belt would be very pricey (usually requires large minimum order quantity). If you want to mess with custom drive ratios other than 26/72, 28/72, and 30/72 you should switch to a chain.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Steve if he converted to the narrow belt he could use the 07-08 belt which is 151 tooth. Jan's bike is an 03 I think so if you could find who made his pulley it should work on any 02-03 hubbed bike.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Max said:
Steve if he converted to the narrow belt he could use the 07-08 belt which is 151 tooth. Jan's bike is an 03 I think so if you could find who made his pulley it should work on any 02-03 hubbed bike.
Max,
You're correct again.

I forgot about the newer bikes with the longer swingarms. The 151T belt should work with either 31T or 32T front pulleys and a 72T rear pulley on the '02 - '06 VRSC. There's also a 152T belt that should work for 34T front pulleys.

A 31T X 72T with a 151T belt would move the wheel back about 3.8 mm.
A 32T X 72T with a 151T belt would move the wheel back about 0.6 mm.
A 33T X 72T with a 152T belt would move the wheel back about 5.8 mm (may be too long it's like using a 150T belt with a 28T front pulley).
A 34T X 72T with a 152T belt would move the wheel back about 1.2 mm.

·
Formerly BobK
647 Posts
Hey Max, you and I would be in the 160 range with the 31 and over 160 with the 32.

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
rodman said:
I think speed point makes 32 tooth pulleys...

go to speed point onlne catalog

click on

VRSC Zubehör- Ersatzteile (4)

Why do you want a 32 tooth pulley
That's interesting. I never thought about moving UP to a larger front pulley. I don't think I would like it on the 1130 bikes but maybe on a 1250????? In non turbo form I like running the 28 tooth. There just didn't seem to be enough torque to suit my tastes in stock trim.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Remember,the Revo needs rpms to perform efficiantly.
I don't think the 32 would work proper w a 55mm sidewall tire.You'd be like Fred Flintstone taking off and at highway speed,60 to 65 mph,you'd probably be hunting between 4th and 5th.
It might work ok w a 240 tire because the side wall is 40mm.On my 03 w the 30th and a 240 tire take off is more comfortable compared to the 180-55 tire.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm turbo'd and going to 17" wheels. Just trying to get RPMs back close to stock. Looking at ways to compensate for the smaller dia. If only I spoke German! Jan-Dirk where are you?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well the 32 tooth might be the thing. I suggest you simply email speed-point. They reply is broken but OK English and I've spoken to them on the phone as well.

Very High Quality products, - I have their fairing and handlebars.

Note that the Front pulley has an offset from stock.

Rodman

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
rodman said:
Well the 32 tooth might be the thing. I suggest you simply email speed-point. They reply is broken but OK English and I've spoken to them on the phone as well.

Very High Quality products, - I have their fairing and handlebars.

Note that the Front pulley has an offset from stock. ...
Interesting that Speed-point sells those; however, there's a couple of problems that I have with these items:

1) Since 199 € is about $290, that's more than $200 higher than a MOCO pulley. I sure hope the quality is "Very High".

2) 7075 Aluminum, although one of the harder grades, is not likely to hold up as well as the MOCO steel versions, even with the applied hard coating.

·
Registered
582 Posts
stever975 said:
Interesting that Speed-point sells those; however, there's a couple of problems that I have with these items:

1) Since 199 € is about $290, that's more than $200 higher than a MOCO pulley. I sure hope the quality is "Very High".

2) 7075 Aluminum, although one of the harder grades, is not likely to hold up as well as the MOCO steel versions, even with the applied hard coating.
Hey I'm not affiliated with speed point, I'm not even German!
But... It is practically impossible for a German company to make a obviously unsafe product. I bet Speed-points needed TUV certification to sell it, TUV certification requires safety testing.

In Germany you can't license a bike with any modifcations unless the mods have a TUV certificate. I'm not a metallurgist, but Speed-Point have been around a while and their wheels and pulleys are very widely used, so I would be inclined to trust them.

You've got a point on the price though.. American greenbacks need to stop sliding backwards man, the currecy devaluation isn't good for anybody. My company sells products priced in freakin' USD, I've might have to move to Euro pricing to keep from giving product away for free...

The real question is: are there any other alternatives if you want 32 teeth? If not then this might be expensive, but at least it's from a reputable, innovative supplier.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Bruce Helland said:
I'm turbo'd and going to 17" wheels. Just trying to get RPMs back close to stock. Looking at ways to compensate for the smaller dia. If only I spoke German! Jan-Dirk where are you?
Bruce,
THEN GO A CHAIN DRIVE CONVERTION FROM KOSMAN AND YOU CAN HAVE ANY GEARING YOU WANT:deal: ! I made sure to have each Kosman setup of Mine uses the same Rear Sprockets,instead of having to pay for them twice:broke: .
I had Sandy Machine 1 of my rear Hub's ''on my 3-Billet Kosman Wheels" to match my Bonneville setup so I could use the same Gearing {GUCCI III Sprockets}on either Bike.
I also Keep a spare chain for each major setup and swap them both out at the same time quick and Easy:kaz: ..............

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
rodman said:
Hey I'm not affiliated with speed point, I'm not even German!
But... It is practically impossible for a German company to make a obviously unsafe product. I bet Speed-points needed TUV certification to sell it, TUV certification requires safety testing.

In Germany you can't license a bike with any modifcations unless the mods have a TUV certificate. I'm not a metallurgist, but Speed-Point have been around a while and their wheels and pulleys are very widely used, so I would be inclined to trust them.

You've got a point on the price though.. American greenbacks need to stop sliding backwards man, the currecy devaluation isn't good for anybody. My company sells products priced in freakin' USD, I've might have to move to Euro pricing to keep from giving product away for free...

The real question is: are there any other alternatives if you want 32 teeth? If not then this might be expensive, but at least it's from a reputable, innovative supplier.
Nothing wrong with being affiliated with Speed-point or even with being German for that matter, and I agree that these might be the only bigger front pulleys available and so it's interesting to see that Speed-point provides these as an option.

Concerning safety and TUV approval: I wasn't saying these aren't safe and they may hold up long enough not to trigger a problem with TUV approval, but other aftermarket Al alloy front pulleys didn't hold up and caused problems with drive belts rubbing the fuel tank so I wouldn't recommend using these until I heard some feedback from someone else that's used them or until I heard of the expected lifetime from Speed-point.

·
Registered
582 Posts
stever975 said:
Nothing wrong with being affiliated with Speed-point or even with being German for that matter, and I agree that these might be the only bigger front pulleys available and so it's interesting to see that Speed-point provides these as an option.

Concerning safety and TUV approval: I wasn't saying these aren't safe and they may hold up long enough not to trigger a problem with TUV approval, but other aftermarket Al alloy front pulleys didn't hold up and caused problems with drive belts rubbing the fuel tank so I wouldn't recommend using these until I heard some feedback from someone else that's used them or until I heard of the expected lifetime from Speed-point.
OK I see where your coming from - that's a good point, and I've heard of early 28 tooth pulleys causing that same problem. I'd definitly suggest speaking to S-P to see what they have to say on the matter.

I wonder also if Pondo could machine up a 32 tooth... he seems pretty handy with the whole CAD/CAM thing and he did a stainless comp bowl for me.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
rodman said:
OK I see where your coming from - that's a good point, and I've heard of early 28 tooth pulleys causing that same problem. I'd definitly suggest speaking to S-P to see what they have to say on the matter.

I wonder also if Pondo could machine up a 32 tooth... he seems pretty handy with the whole CAD/CAM thing and he did a stainless comp bowl for me.
Something MAY be in the works for that, but I can't comment on that at this time.
Anyone ever consider a smaller rear pulley?
Any pros/cons to that?
Or a bigger rear pulley for drag racing?
Anyone know about product liability laws and the effectiveness of liability waivers?
Just asking for no real reason. :hidesbeh:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
Remember,the Revo needs rpms to perform efficiantly.
I don't think the 32 would work proper w a 55mm sidewall tire.You'd be like Fred Flintstone taking off and at highway speed,60 to 65 mph,you'd probably be hunting between 4th and 5th.
It might work ok w a 240 tire because the side wall is 40mm.On my 03 w the 30th and a 240 tire take off is more comfortable compared to the 180-55 tire.

Elrod on the V-Rod
Al,

Sorry to throw water on your argument but the total diameter of the wheel/tire package is virtually the same regardless of sidewall aspect ratio. 55 and 40 are aspect ratios, not absolute measurements. On a MC tire the sidewall is measured from the bead to the tallest part of the tire, not the "side" of the tire that you see between the bead and the tread.

180/55 = 99mm sidewall
240/40 = 96mm sidewall

3mm ~ .10 inch so in the grand scheme of things it's the difference between my new tire and your tire with a couple of burnouts :D

·
Have Gun Will Travel
1,008 Posts
I have the speedpoint 32t front pulley. They produce it because when they made their wheels, the only rear pulley they had was a 70t, so in order to use the same size v-rod belt, they increased the front pulley size 2 teeth to go along with the decrease in the rear by 2 teeth.

I am in the process of trying to get these eurocomponent wheels on the bike, and have hit the point that I want to sell them and made "the bad man go away."

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How much off set is in that pulley? Im looking for one that will work with a 180 tire setup. Where did you get the pulley and how much?

(All questions all the time...) Thanks, Bruce

1 - 20 of 20 Posts