Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Boss Noss'n Muscle
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have the noise at 3,000 RPM and clatter/racket like many others. One difference: Mine does this in neutral too, thus eliminating any drive belt potential. I feel additional vibration throughout the bike too.

My exhaust nuts are tight. And, I have no soot/residue coming from the exhaust area.

My concern is that my Thundermax issues over the past year have damaged the engine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I'm just fishing here.
With the transmission in neutral,the engine running at around 3 grand and you sitting on the bike,see if the noise changes when you pull the clutch lever in and out.

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Tom
Didn't you say you went topless right before you started hearing the chatter?

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Shot in the dark here. My air box cover rattled really bad at around 3000 when it was new. Didn't figure it out for a while, sounded like she was gonna blow. I had to apply some felt at the back mount.

·
Ride Hard
13 Posts
I just found a place on my airbox that was being hit by the cooling system cap. It made a buzzing sound at 3-4k rpm. You might take a look at yours.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Whenever mine does this it is something in the airbox shifted (I do have rather a lot of aftermarket bits there...).

Take the airbox cover off and try....

Also check all the heatshields are properly attached.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts