Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Hmm. :).
Change all? New bike will be cheaper:)
I like my v-rod. I thought about coils. They cost 250$ but I’m not right on 100% that there is problem. Maybe I will wait for it break down?
D
Doubt it's the coils but you could get one on ebay for test purposes. Specific rpm problems are often TPS related. The TPS controls fueling as primary control and the map sensor for load or lack of load fuel trimming as well as timing. Don't know how carefully you did the sweep when testing it, so if I was to replace any sensor, that would be the one. The fuel pressure test should also be run with bike at rpm and in a condition where there needs to be full fueling. It might pass static test psi, but psi could drop with engine demands.
Ron

·
Registered
32 Posts
not trying to step on anyone's toes Ron.
Can be very hard diagnosing any probs if your not getting the correct information or only getting part thereof.
this is just one more way to check a problem without using electrical equipment,
(which not all of us are proficient in, especially when it comes to small variances over short time periods (me included)):cool:
Steve..

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
not trying to step on anyone's toes Ron.
Can be very hard diagnosing any probs if your not getting the correct information or only getting part thereof.
this is just one more way to check a problem without using electrical equipment,
(which not all of us are proficient in, especially when it comes to small variances over short time periods (me included)):cool:
Steve..
Sure, there's other ways but a VOM is more then up to the task for a tps check. Any small dead spots will be repeatable if checked carefully. Only other option is data log the bike in operation for TPS voltage and percentage of opening at the problem rpms. OP has checked this with a VOM. How carefully, don't know. Without logging all sensors in play in operation, time is wasted, money thrown away on guessed possibles. Any PV unit or TTS can log the bike and make a data log. The unit does not have to be married to the bike for these tasks. I or whoever can view the log to see any odd behaviors.
Ron

·
Registered
Vrscdx 2008
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Ron, Steve.
Thank you for opinion.

I checked Tps very slow. In all points voltage grow or down. I am not sure that check was "professional":)
What is the log?

D

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Ron, Steve.
Thank you for opinion.

I checked Tps very slow. In all points voltage grow or down. I am not sure that check was "professional":)
What is the log?

D
Professional enough for that task on the tps. A log can be generated via tuning software used by many of us. HD shops could use their software to do the same. This example is TTS Datamaster log. The (none) areas are additional selections if needed. It's a video running log from start to end of the run done. This is likely a big twin HD based on the idle setting. A quick view shows all sensors good but the integrators are showing well over 10% rich at all areas at idle. More tuning required, obviously. Powervision uses an Excel format to view. Up to 39 channels to view. In your case, I'd be zeroing in on the integrators to see if there's a fueling issue at the problem rpms for starters, sensors and injector behavior.
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
Vrscdx 2008
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hi.
I observe that during cold weather engine works better. Is it important observation?

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Hi.
I observe that during cold weather engine works better. Is it important observation?
Colder temps, the engine will run colder, as shown by the temp sensor readings as is the IAT temp. Both will make the mixture richer, and in many cases richer then desired, depending on how the bike was tune or the calibration it's running. Also, thermostat doesn't work the same way as a car on these things, as in keeping the coolant temp at a certain hot temp. Example. Cold temps the engine will run around 180 degrees and in hotter weather they run 185-200. Keep in mind these are cruising temps. Idling and slow traffic even in cold will raise the temp. If you are seeing it run well in the cold air, you condition is lean but you still need to find out why. Back to that logging thing again. Are your O2 sensors hooked up at the moment? You can try disconnecting them. This places the calibration into open loop, a richer mixture usually. O2 sensors can fail in several ways and one way is there inability to hit the higher end of the rich wave in their cycle. This will make it or at least one cyl leaner then normal. The opposite of just disconnecting them. Do you know anyone with a pre CanBus TTS or PV unit that can make a log for you? Vrod uses a J1850. We can then view that log.
Ron

·
Registered
Vrscdx 2008
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Hi.
Is Canbus TTS a “computer” with program to read codes and parameters in bike?

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Hi.
Is Canbus TTS a “computer” with program to read codes and parameters in bike?
The speedo will read codes if needed but yes both Powervision and TTS will read and clear them if desired as well as parameters when running for data logging. V rods are a J1850 system. Canbus is used on later Harleys. J1850 uses a four plug in the data port while Canbus uses a six wire plug. PV and TTS are tuning devices that marry to the bike and allow only one bike to use the tuning feature. Either will work on any other bike strictly for making and viewing logs. So , if you know someone that has either, borrow it to create a data log. Do a search for codes and the process will be explained. Not hard at all. Post any codes you find.
Ron

41 - 50 of 50 Posts