Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well today i decided to take john's approach to the air box...i think i just about have it, but i still have to clean up the edges a lil...i also took off the pipes, to get them ready to send to Steve, and installed the PCIIIR . After i get the air box cleaned up i am going to take off the front reflectors.:cheers:
this box i bought off ebay for $5 for experimental purpose such as this :)

Attachments

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i also noticed when i start the bike (been this way since day one) a white puff of smoke would come out...after taking off the pipes i noticed a big big mess in the pipes.....is this normal?...or will the PCIIIR help this?

Attachments

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i just had to cut the snout off aswell, i could'nt get the PCIIIR between the batt. and airbox cover like the book said. Also the PCIIIR is a very tight fit, i about never got the side cover back on...ok about never is a lil harsh, it took me about 10 minutes.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Why did you vut the snout off?The pcIIIr will fit,where it is supposed to fit.You just need,to pull the base plate away.Once you get it in there it will fall into place.Do it topless its easier.

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
baseplate?
i cut the snout off because i threw the PC on top of the batt. and it got in the way of the snout.
plus i am lazy.
so you are saying i can loosen the baseplate and get the PC to fit?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I have tested ever conceivable arrangement with the top on and it's a waste of time !Just go topless and be done with it!:slap2:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Super Kaz said:
I have tested ever conceivable arrangement with the top on and it's a waste of time !Just go topless and be done with it!:slap2:
On the dyno or on the track?

Basic physics says that if your airbox opening is larger than the total size of the venturis, by .1 sq in or 1 sq ft it doesn't matter. In other words, opening up the front or taking the cover off is the same so long as holes exceed the total diameter of the venturis.

The ultimate would be to fabricate a scoop (or pair of scoops) that are plumbed into the front of the airbox and sealed. This would allow you to build positive pressure in the airbox at speed. Just opening the front up won't do anything to build pressure. Any excess is simply pushed back out.

Or, you could just run topless :laugh: ;) :laugh:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
:stupid: ;)

·
Registered
598 Posts
I had the white puff and I was burning oil about 1/2 qrt every700-1000mi. The dealer rebuilt my engine and no smoke for 300mi and a few days ago it smoked at startup. Now it only smokes if its been sitting for awhile and cold. Is this normal???? I donno but it runs fine so I will wait for a few more miles before I get get worried. How many of you guys get smoke at startup????????

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
dlevi03,

Try posting this as a new thread in the Problems section.

Mark

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the reason for cutting the front out is because i am getting the same effect as running topess, but i don't have the annoying sound from the stacks :)

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Trust me your gaining if your lucky .5rwhp!:rolleyes: I've tested it on a Dyno with 75mph HIPO Fans blowing and it's really a waste of time!Don't believe me though if you think it's helping you to make more power thats all that counts!:goof

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
What about the Breathless Performance V-Rod Ram Induction Side Scoops. Anyone knows? Are they just fancy covers?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I have them but there is to many wires and your coolant over flow bottle on the other side to get any really benefit inless you are toppless.Then you might get a Little.I'm working on a Mod that will help but have not had time to test it yet!:cool:

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Kaz,
Are you saying a modded air box cover doesn't add as much as topless? I beg to differ my friend. 117.9 rwhp with stock V-Mods. 115.2 with the unmodified top.

John

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I'm still waiting to see your Dyno Sheet and You wheelie Pics!:rolleyes:

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Thanks! $280 saved and will get to keep the stock appearance for now. I guess they would help more with larger flow rates through the engine and I am basically stock right now. You da'man.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Trying to Distract me with the Big Titty Mind Sponge Video Technique!
Very Sneeky............:hmm:

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
The tits? Hilarious!
What? Wheelies? I know you can on the rear footpegs but however unlikely, it MAY hit the ground.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts