Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Mark I really like the low speed performance of the 28 tooth but since 90% of my riding is done at 80+ mph it just did not fit my riding style. Just a matter of choice. :)

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I ride 2 up probably 60 - 70% of the time and my wife even commented on how much better the bike felt with the 28T. She noticed the extra mechanical advantage translated into being pushed back into the back (butt) rest harder, especially in the higher gears. Probably one of the reasons I like it is because it makes the bike feel lighter when I ride 2 up. With her, me and some gear we're probably 330 lbs.

You're right John, the bike loves RPMs. 4000 rpm in the 65mph range is very smooth, 5000 rpm in the 80mph range is almost electric smooth and the roll on acceleration :) :) :).

:warning....thread drift

BTW, <1/4" chicken strip and I still haven't scraped anything..... Took some nice switchbacks yesterday 2 up in 3rd working between 4000 - 8000 rpm and not a scratch. Maybe I have the "extra ground clearance" version or maybe the bike isn't as leaned over when you're taking a 30 mph turn at 70 :) Shocked a couple of crotch rockets when they didn't pull away from me through the turns or on the straight. Keep the V-Rod above 5000 rpm and the bike will stay with almost anything in short spurts. Of course it they know what they are doing and/or don't get caught off guard you're toast ;)

Mark

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Max said:
Mark I really like the low speed performance of the 28 tooth but since 90% of my riding is done at 80+ mph it just did not fit my riding style. Just a matter of choice. :)
I understand, I was just poking some fun at you.

I will say that I've noticed the new belt is louder than the original. Maybe they changed the construction or it just takes some time to break-in but the belt whine get's loud some times. There's nothing wrong with the tension or alignment, I've checked about 5 times :(

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Yea Max,
As was I. You seem to be the exception with the 28 vs 30T pulley choice. I do very little hwy riding. Most of my riding is in the canyons. For me the lower gearing makes the bike a keeper.

John

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I guess if we actually had some twisties and/or canyons around here... And I seem to remember a MonsterMax thread where he was thinking the 30 tooth might be better on the Dragon as he wouldn't have to shift as much. My limited exposure there confirms that.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts