Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added se slip-ons, filter and reprogrammed ecm on my 2003. Now I am thinking seriously about changing to the 28t sprocket. This topic is probably old hat for some of you, but before I go spend the bucks (on the factory package) I want to know it is right for me. I primarily use the vrod for around town and day rides, no long trips. Any input is welcomed.........

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I sent you an email after you mailed me about this subject but your mail box is full and the email was returned.

Remember this is my own opinion and most really like the 28tooth pulley.

I installed one of chopper steves 28tooth pulleys and ran it for about 500 miles
then took it back off and put the 30 tooth back on. Advantages are much better off
the line and around town power, for me the disadvantage was that I like to cruise
at 85+ mph and that left me feeling the rpm strain with me usually run 5,000 or more
at cruise. I also had trouble with noise but I think that may be corrected with the
new shorter belt that hd offers.

All in all the 28 tooth pulley can be nice if you do mostly around town driving.
If your like me and like to cruise on the highway it falls a little short and I think
that is why HD is planning the six speed for the 05 release.

Max

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Bagman, I just had the HD pulley, w/the 04 belt put on my 02. I love it, I do alot of canyons and around town speeds. For the most part under 120.................HAHA. That being said, for your type of riding I would give it a big thumbs up! Eric

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about the bounce on the email, I went in and deleted a lot of junk but I still have a issue with Comcast about this! Anyway, it's off the topic.

I will be doing some highway riding and I also like the higher end, which concerns me a little. I saw some where the sacrifice equals only a few hundred rpms on the top end. Maybe I should go ride an '04 before I do anything. BTW, I won a nice $1000 gift certificate from the dealer so the money is burning a hole in my pocket!! Maybe some more chrome will have to do..................

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Bagman, I installed the Turbo Tech 28T. Monster Max posted some easy to follow instructions in an earlier post. Piece of cake. (I have the machanical wherewithal of an oyster on the half shell to boot) If I want to slap on the 30T for some long distant cruisin' -- I feel confident I could do it in 15- 20 min.
When I ordered the pulley I asked Sam about a lot of the issues I had seen on this forum and others. In his opinion all were unfounded. I still have the original belt on and feel comfortable riding it with the axel cam maxed out.
Bottom line I love it. I was a wuss hemmin' and hawin' about it, but it makes the bike that much more of a gas riding. I'm city and day riding like you.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Bagman it easy to test what the difference is at cruising speed. Just reduce your speed by 7% because that is what the pulley does. So at 70 it is only a couple of hundred rpm off but at 100 it is 300-400 rpm off. I don't mind cruising at 5k all day long but when I start pushing 5200 or 5400 rpm for a cruising speed it feels a bit much after an hour or two. If all I did was around town riding then the 28 would be great.

On a side note at the Dallas Motorcycle show I talked to one of the HD reps about the 6 speed rumor and he just smiled and said he really couldn't say anything.

Max

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Congrats Bagman! Now I know you'll put that[b/] to good use..................

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the thought of a 6 speed! The moco always has something up their sleeve. I looked in to changing the gearing on my Ultra for similar reasons.
I said the vrod is primarily ridden around town but I really enjoy a lot of back roads and twisties. Like vrodguy we have some awesome secondary roads in TN.
Vrodguy- I use to live in Sherwood, Glide (Roseburg) and Sunriver. Love the riding their but at the time it was hard to make a living. In Central OR we called it poverty with a view!

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
No doubt about that my friend, you wouldn't believe the building boom that has taken place in Sherwood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts