Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be installing a 28T pulley on my '03. The TT 28T is $230...wow! Since HD is now installing 28t's on the stock '04 V-rod's, I called my local HD dealer to to price the the '04 28t pulley, forget the exact price but around $90. Any real reason to spend the extra $140 for the TT?

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The link you showed is for the 28t kit that includes the belt, the belt alone anmounts to close to $200. I to order the '04 28t (which is standard in the '04) pulley, not the kit. If as many say here are correct, the TT pulley can use the stock belt, in most cases. Assuming the is true, I see no reason why the '04 HD 28t pulley couldn't be used with out getting a new belt.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
The 2004 28 tooth pulley is actually around $90 by itself. This is without the hardware and belt included in the kit.

missin44: Do you know what the part number for the pulley was. And also for the flange and little extras?

Thanks
Ken

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
I think almost everyone has used there stock belt and it does fit on mine I have the 28t from v-mod :moon: .Sounds like the way to go :ride:

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O2man98 - Sorry, no idea, to get a price just call your dealer and ask for price of the pulley for an '04 V-rod.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Just so you know, the '04 28T pulley will not fit on a '02 - '03 without the associated output shaft flange. Only the TT is a bolt on replacement.

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info mjw930. I would assume you could buy the correct output flange. My guess is you would still save big $$ over the HD kit ot TT bolt on pulley. That said it would make it more of a pain than the TT bolt on. Also harder to go back to the 30t pulley if you had cause to do it.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
For the NEWBIES HERE!The TT Cost More but it's much easier to install and is a Much nicer Billet Piece.You get what you pay for.Spend a Little more and the headache it saves you will more then make up the price. Plus SAM is a Great Guy and WE MUST Support the Little Guy or No one else will be around to make us custom stuff.He also has done allot to help me. :kaz:

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Support the aftermarket. TT is the finest piece.

What I did for my 03 was first of all try one with a 28t on it. SOLD. It was a must for me. Then I wanted the TT, of course it's the better piece. I saw it was around $250 for just the pulley. The HD kit came out at about same price. I would have felt "incomplete" or whatever by using the long belt and I knew that if I was the one needing axle extenders the whole thing would come to a stop because I'd rather not install the whole thing if I were to need "prosthetics" for the V-Rod. I knew the old belt was already stretched max after only 2500mi anyway. So the shorter belt was a no brainer for me. The belt ($200) AND the TT ($250) pulley would have been $450 total. So I go to order both. The whole HD kit AND the TT pulley for like $50 more both. That was thinking I could always sell the pulley, flange, and bolts for like $100 and help someone on the way. You know what? When it was time to install I'm wondering why the TT pulley is not in my garage so I called Sully (my secretary) and ask her to call back, she said she never did order it :eek: . So I installed the HD kit and it's flawless so far. The TT weighs much less. The stock flange the TT uses weighs much more than the smaller one the HD kit has. I still want the TT but see no reason stop riding to have it installed. To this date I still :banghead: for not buying the TT but more so for buying HD. Kaz is right. Support the aftermarket, we deserve it.

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never intended to debate aftermarket vs. HD, just hoping to point out a differant way to go. I agree we should support the aftermarket, but not at any cost. The desision lies with the person spending the money. I spoke to my dealer and he gave me a price of $100 for both an '04 pully and '04 output flange. A huge savings of $130 over the TT. However, still not sure I'll not go with the TT, really like the idea of a quick swap back to the 30t for those long road trips. Agian just pointing out another option.

Cheers!

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
I bought the TT pulley way back, before HD offered the 28T, but for the price if I had to do it again, I'd buy the HD kit. You get the shorter belt, pulley, and appropriate flange for less than just the TT pulley. Might require a bit more effort to install but once you ride with the 28T, I cannot see many people switching back to the 30T for any reason. I've yet to reinstall my 30T, the 28T is just more fun. Any mileage concern can be addressed by the right wrist.

·
Registered
454 Posts
o2man98 said:
The 2004 28 tooth pulley is actually around $90 by itself. This is without the hardware and belt included in the kit.

missin44: Do you know what the part number for the pulley was. And also for the flange and little extras?

Thanks
Ken
Here's the parts you will need:

40345-04 Sprocket, 28T
35423-01K Shaft, flange output
11354K O-ring
7910M Nut, flange locking
35451-01K Lock ring
34007-01K Cap, plastic
40399-01M Bolts, retaining, w/lockpatch - 3 pcs

Note that according to HD the nut, 3 bolt, the lock ring (for sure) and the plastic cap are one-time use only and have to be replaced when installing the new flange/sprocket.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Few questions:

1. Does anyone have the instructions for the HD kit to scan and post?

2. When removing the output flange is it necessary to remove the pulley from the flange or will the socket fit with the pulley still attached. This would negate having to replace the 3 bolts as you would have to with the TT kit.

3. What is the plastic cap for?

Thanks
Ken

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
V-man, thanks for the list. However, my dealer says the part # for the output flange is 35423-04K. The 04K meaning 2004 I assume, which he says is the one needed to mate with the '04 pulley. If anyone goes this route just comfirm the part #'s.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
o2man98 said:
Few questions:

1. Does anyone have the instructions for the HD kit to scan and post?

2. When removing the output flange is it necessary to remove the pulley from the flange or will the socket fit with the pulley still attached. This would negate having to replace the 3 bolts as you would have to with the TT kit.

3. What is the plastic cap for?

Thanks
Ken
I think those are in my garage somewhere unless they kept them at the shop. I will sure scan them if I can find them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
>1. Does anyone have the instructions for the HD kit to
>scan and post?

Attached.

>2. When removing the output flange is it necessary to
>remove the pulley from the flange or will the socket fit
>with the pulley still attached.

Not sure what you mean. You're replacing both the flange and the sprocket.

>3. What is the plastic cap for?

It protects the threads of the output shaft.

missin44 said:
However, my dealer says the part # for the output flange is 35423-04K.
According to the installation instructions the part # is 35423-01K but it's probably a typo. Both part #s come up with the same description but I agree -04K stands for '04.

Attachments

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Easy job...

Just finished the HD kit tonight.

Couple of points:

--It's easy. Just go at it step by step per the instructions and its a couple of hours work.
--The easy socket to use is the craftsman 30mm 12 point. Fits like a glove. Costs a few bucks, not much. Don't need to grind anything.
--The "flange holding tool" is easily replaced by (a) putting the bike in first and (b) using a long metal shaft through the top flange hole and positioned behind the back lower cylinder casing, with a cloth pad to keep from scarring the casing. I used a 20 inch long piece of steel rod. Also spray some wd40 in the nut and output shaft and the nut will break loose at about 180 ft-lbs. Very easy.
--The flange can be pulled off with any decent gear puller.

Torque everything back in place to specs and you're done. You don't need the custom tools.

Hey, one more thing -- is the stock '04 flash the one to use for a stock '02 with 28 tooth and relocated IAT?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
V-Man

What I mean in number 2 is would it be possible to remove the flange and pulley together as 1 piece, that way you wouldn't have to replace the 3 bolts (if you go by the directions) and it would be just about as easy as switching the TT back to stock 30 tooth.

Thanks for the scans.

Ken

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
replacing the flange

Ken,

When you pull the flange you destroy the o-ring. That said, I wouldn't use replacing the flange as a good way to switch from 30 to 28 and back--you're removing/replacing a device on the main output shaft when you pull the flange. I'd rather replace a few cheap bolts than mess with the output shaft more than I absolutely have to.

B

1 - 20 of 21 Posts