Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 28t front sprocket from a forum member. Haven't received yet but while I'm waiting...do I need to purchase a different belt or can I use existing? I have an '03 with original. Thanks!
Mark

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
It's reccommended to get a 149 tooth belt. You *may* be able to use a stock belt, but it will be on the long side. If the belt is stretched, it will be way loose.

RJ

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Belt

Thanks RJ! Know of a place I can purchase, non Harley? Is this an easy swap? I was told that I could grind down my stock flange. Is this true and are there any instructions on this mod?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
turner1968 said:
Thanks RJ! Know of a place I can purchase, non Harley? Is this an easy swap? I was told that I could grind down my stock flange. Is this true and are there any instructions on this mod?
I suppose you could grind it down. You'll see what you need to do when you get the other flange. Really the hardest part of the whole swap is getting that damn flange off the bike. Grind carefully and take your time.

Non-Harley belt, you could go to JP cycles, or denniskirk, or any number of places.

RJ

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vrscr

I almost forgot. The are does this use the 28t front sprocket on stock bikes. And is the stock belt 148mm?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
turner1968 said:
I almost forgot. The are does this use the 28t front sprocket on stock bikes. And is the stock belt 148mm?
I'm sorry, could you repeat the question?

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
turner1968 said:
The 30t pulley uses a 150t belt and the 28t belt uses a 149t belt.I don't now of any 148t belt.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
turner1968 said:
My bad. Doesn't pay to be new sometimes. Thanks all!
sorry is it was worded wrong.Just trying to inform.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lube, etc.

Do I need any special tools to take sprocket off? What about lubrication and what should I lube...No wise cracks!:banghead:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I used a medium gear puller to get that sucker off. A little grease should do the trick to get it back on. Just don't get any on the threads.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
You will need a service manual and a gear puller. I'm not touching the lube.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
belt question

You experts out there must get tired of all the newbies questions...me. I like to learn and you guys seem to have the right answers. I do appreciate all the feedback.
One last question. At least for today. What is the easiest way of removing the belt? I will be changing to a 149 tooth belt and have never removed my rear wheel. I have to say this intimidates me a little so I want as much information as possible. Thanks in advance!:hidesbeh:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
The belt on the V-Rod is easy to remove. Put the bike on the bike lift. Loosen the bolt on the rear axle. Turn the axle so the cam releases. Remove the rear lower shock bolt on the left and rotate the shock out of the way. Grab the upper belt guard and pull it toward the back of the bike, to take it off. Remove the 3 bolts on the front pulley cover and take it off push the rear wheel forward to remove the belt. You probably want to take off the lower beltguard. Remove the 5mm bolt on the bottom and pull the rear beltguard toward the back of the bike to remove it.

Takes all of 15 minutes to do if you have all the tools. Takes longer to find the tools in my garage than it does to do the removal.

You really need to invest in a service manual. Life is easier with it and it pays for itself in no time.

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
Some items to consider......

Some other items to consider:
DO NOT use an air gun to remove or install the new pulley.
Purchase new lock ring and black plastic cap
I changed mine to a 28 tooth pulley and the change was not difficult as long as you have a shop manual and you will need the gear puller to get the 30 tooth off. I had both flanges at the same time and it sure looked as if the 28 tooth pulley flange had about 1/8 inch ground off of each ear. As R.J. said take your time and don't grind off too much as you will see there will not be much metal beyond the threads to fit in the 28 tooth pulley. Good luck....

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
I you don't remove the seal before you remove the flange you will destoy it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts