Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I adjusted the belt by feel the first time then I got the tensioner from HD (<$10) and it turned out I was pretty close. From what I've heard a large percentage of HD dealer mechanics do it by feel too. I also learned that going to 10mm deflection will reduce any belt whine you have and not hurt anything (confirmed from 2 dealers).

· SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I personally would buy the '04 belt, lose the tensioners and swap the belt with the pulley.

For alignment I look to make sure the cams are in sync then check the distance between the swing arm bolt centerline and the axle centerline. It's been close enough just eyeballing the cam sync (within 1/64") the 3 times I've checked.

· SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Bartels said:
Each are independant.
Actually that's only partially true. The left side is welded to the axle, the right side of the axle is square and the cam rides on that. There's play (don't know why they couldn't get the clearances closer) but I've found the when it's turned to add tension they seem to line up. If they don't, I tap the right side cam in the direction I need the axle to move once I've set tension, that gets everything lined up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.