Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read on the VMOD site and elsewhere on how to install a 28T pulley. I haven't seen reference to the belt tension tool expect in the VROD service manual.

Those of you that did the aftermarket 28T pulley w/ or w/o axel extenders or the HD MoCO 28T with shorter belt on your own, did you just adjust to get the belt deflection at 6mm or did you get the HD tool?

I had the Porsche belt tension tool from my turbo but doubt even if I could find it.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I adjusted the belt by feel the first time then I got the tensioner from HD (<$10) and it turned out I was pretty close. From what I've heard a large percentage of HD dealer mechanics do it by feel too. I also learned that going to 10mm deflection will reduce any belt whine you have and not hurt anything (confirmed from 2 dealers).

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
First off, you most likely (95%) won't need the axle extenders. The 28 tooth pulley with the '03 belt (the one that came with the 30 tooth) will work, however your adjustment will be ALL of the way out. The belt will be at the proper tension, but you couldn't go further. You can get the '04 belt (made for a 28 tooth pulley, thus a bit shorter) like I did, but you can ride without it.
Mike

I changed mine b/c with the rear tire all the way back, the metz 200, and my fat ass... the tire was rubbing the back of the plate holder when I hit big bumps!

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
reichard, I gotta agree with Mike -- VRODScout. Before I swapped to the 28T I wanted to make sure that I was getting a set up that suited me.
After reading a lot of posts here I opted for the Turbo Tech. I called them and talked to Sam, who developed the 28T, and asked him several questions. I now have a pulley that I think yields the best performance, is easy to swap back to the 30T, and that I use the stock belt with without spacers. As Sam said, he's got guys drag racing with the orignal belt, no spacers and no problems.
Got questions, give him a call -- (602) 242-6468. He has a Super Kaz discount.... I think it's 10%

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got the 28 tooth and I used the axle extenders and I am worried that they are going to fly out. How can a guy get those pins back out that I had to punch in 1/8 inch?? I really want to go back and forth from the 28 to the 30 and it would be great if I didnt need to use the axle extenders. How are you guys aligning the rear wheel?? I just made sure that the cams are in the same positions on each side.... .Is that good enough??

Brent Bartels

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I personally would buy the '04 belt, lose the tensioners and swap the belt with the pulley.

For alignment I look to make sure the cams are in sync then check the distance between the swing arm bolt centerline and the axle centerline. It's been close enough just eyeballing the cam sync (within 1/64") the 3 times I've checked.

·
Registered
454 Posts
mjw930 said:
I personally would buy the '04 belt, lose the tensioners and swap the belt with the pulley.

For alignment I look to make sure the cams are in sync then check the distance between the swing arm bolt centerline and the axle centerline. It's been close enough just eyeballing the cam sync (within 1/64") the 3 times I've checked.
What do you do if the cams are out of sync? As far as I understand they don't turn independently.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Bartels said:
Each are independant.
Actually that's only partially true. The left side is welded to the axle, the right side of the axle is square and the cam rides on that. There's play (don't know why they couldn't get the clearances closer) but I've found the when it's turned to add tension they seem to line up. If they don't, I tap the right side cam in the direction I need the axle to move once I've set tension, that gets everything lined up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts