Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
F.U.B.A.R
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I put a 280 on my DX I've already cut out all of the inner fender, will I need to do any other mods to do it?
 

·
AIM Bagger Edition
Joined
·
7,798 Posts
Give Hogpro a call and ask for Jerry he'll point you in the right direction. They make a 280 kit. Pat.
 

·
fire up !
Joined
·
700 Posts
Dick said:
Can I put a 280 on my DX I've already cut out all of the inner fender, will I need to do any other mods to do it?
to run a 280 there's no need to cut out anything from the inner fender (for a 300 the inner fender's tabs have to be cut off), it will fit in nicely but it needs a widened rim & swingarm + offset front pulley & some smaller hardware or you can just buy a kit of course
pics of 280 & 300 conversion in my gallery if you want
grtz
 

·
Living Free...
Joined
·
11,581 Posts
Roadhog said:
to run a 280 there's no need to cut out anything from the inner fender (for a 300 the inner fender's tabs have to be cut off), it will fit in nicely but it needs a widened rim & swingarm + offset front pulley & some smaller hardware or you can just buy a kit of course
pics of 280 & 300 conversion in my gallery if you want
grtz

WOW! That 300 tires looks awesome onthe DX!!!!

How did you go about getting the widened rim??? And what swingarm did you use??? Was it all Hogpro?
 

·
fire up !
Joined
·
700 Posts
CUPCAKE said:
WOW! That 300 tires looks awesome onthe DX!!!!
How did you go about getting the widened rim??? And what swingarm did you use??? Was it all Hogpro?
Cuppy the plan was to retain all stock looks ... so both the stock rim and swingarm have been widened to specs; all done by a combo of knowledgeable people meaning my local dealer's techs and a wheel shop in Germany, the stuff they produced is even certified for safety purposes (= priority to me), i owe them mucho gracias for their excellent work
so no, no Hogpro 'cause that option wouldn't have allowed me to ride a stock looking bike anymore
slip-ons also designed to my likings (looks & sound), same result : excellent
oh yeah and with the bike being apart at that time, had nearly all shiny thingies black pc'd
next stop : front end ... working on it, winter project
grtz
 

·
Living Free...
Joined
·
11,581 Posts
Roadhog said:
Cuppy the plan was to retain all stock looks ... so both the stock rim and swingarm have been widened to specs; all done by a combo of knowledgeable people meaning my local dealer's techs and a wheel shop in Germany, the stuff they produced is even certified for safety purposes (= priority to me), i owe them mucho gracias for their excellent work
so no, no Hogpro 'cause that option wouldn't have allowed me to ride a stock looking bike anymore
slip-ons also designed to my likings (looks & sound), same result : excellent
oh yeah and with the bike being apart at that time, had nearly all shiny thingies black pc'd
next stop : front end ... working on it, winter project
grtz
That's awesome. Your bike looks great! I'm going to show Rob this thread tonight, so he can see the pictures. He says once he has to purchase a new tire (which should be very soon with the way he rides that Turbo, LOL) he's going to go bigger. I'm sure he knows far more about it that I do...as far as researching methods are concerned. Job well done! That's great that you were able to keep it all stock, and make it work!
 

·
fire up !
Joined
·
700 Posts
CUPCAKE said:
That's awesome. Your bike looks great! I'm going to show Rob this thread tonight, so he can see the pictures. He says once he has to purchase a new tire (which should be very soon with the way he rides that Turbo, LOL) he's going to go bigger. I'm sure he knows far more about it that I do...as far as researching methods are concerned. Job well done! That's great that you were able to keep it all stock, and make it work!
thx for the kudos but i don't want to hi-jack this thread but i can say 1 more thing; i read many post here about how crappy it must handle, i don't respond to that because i KNOW how it handles ... i wrote a small report on that somewhere in the DX section after a +/- 4.300 km trip, this black beast may not be the Queen of the Twisties but she sure is a mountain lion(ess), just awesome (including the excellent Brembo's)
grtz
 

·
Living Free...
Joined
·
11,581 Posts
Roadhog said:
thx for the kudos but i don't want to hi-jack this thread but i can say 1 more thing; i read many post here about how crappy it must handle, i don't respond to that because i KNOW how it handles ... i wrote a small report on that somewhere in the DX section after a +/- 4.300 km trip, this black beast may not be the Queen of the Twisties but she sure is a mountain lion(ess), just awesome (including the excellent Brembo's)
grtz

Well, I would imagine that the handling from a 240 to a 300, is similar to going from the 180 to the 240 at first. It's different, its a little wobbly on the twisties and turns UNTIL you get used to it. I am going from a Sportster, to a 2006 VRSCA with a 240 tire. It's different. It's not BAD, it's different. The bike wants to stay on the "flat" part of the tire, and you just have to press harder to get it to finally lean onto the curved part of the tire. I love the 240 :)

I don't want to hijack either :) Hopefully the author of this thread doesn't mind. Besides, it's all talk about larger tires on the DX :)
 

·
fire up !
Joined
·
700 Posts
CUPCAKE said:
you just have to press harder to get it to finally lean onto the curved part of the tire
exactly ! that's all there is to it and you get that little workout all for free ! :D
CUPCAKE said:
Besides, it's all talk about larger tires on the DX :)
:)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top