Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 28 tooth pulley change the gearing up enough to notice. When riding in the neighborhood(riding the kids) I can almost drive around in 1st and 2nd gear all the time speed limit is 30mph in most places. :vrod: :dance: :vrod:

·
Registered
472 Posts
It made a big difference to me.
I like to ride in a lot of runs, and I couldn't ride SLOW enough in a crowd of bikes without riding the clutch a lot. So, I got the HD 28 tooth installed.
Much better.

Then, I leaned on the throttle hard.
Muuuuuch better. :mrgr:

·
Registered
154 Posts
It makes the bike a ton more fun...I just got mine put on and I love it.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Frank,

IMHO No, it doesn't hurt anything on the high end. I turn ~5000 rpm @ 80 mph and still get 40 mph. The motor is smooth and I don't think the additional 300 or so rpm is doing anything to it's longevity. Remember, these motors love to rev :)

Mark

·
Registered
154 Posts
I turn ~5000 rpm @ 80 mph and still get 40 mph.

You mean 40 MPG mjw930?

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Given what most opinions on the matter are, the probability is that you will be happy with it. I know I most certainly am. And, maybe an incentive will be not wanting any of the newer bikes to smoke you at will.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Frank Harley said:
How's it ride at speeds above 60 or 70....does it wind it up too much?? With the help on the low end, doesn't it hurt the high end??
If you are worried about rpms.Then get one from v-mod or Sam at Turbotecusa.com(tell em Kaz refered ya).The HD kit won't let you inerchange.You can put the 28t when you do city riding and put the 30t when you are gonna go long distances if you are worried about rpm's.I have mine on the way,I don't think I'll remove it,once it's on.I don't plan on doing alot of long runs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The way I see it is that the 2004 models have the 28t. Therefore I guess the moco figured it is a better way to go. I don't know how many 2004 owners are on this forum but I don't hear any of them wanting to go to the 30t.

·
9 second club member
2,326 Posts
just something I though was a bit odd. If you check the specs on the 04 the fuel milage is the same as the 03 was and we all no that the 02's and 03's didnt get what they said. And now they have change the gearing that would in turn drop the fuel milage. I just thought it was something interesting to see.

I would like to go to the 28T but I did a few long trips this past year so im not really sure if I want to give up on amymore miles then I do now. Foe me right now this has been one of the hardest thing to decided on because I would love to have the take off that you get with the 28T

·
Registered
154 Posts
I really like it but I but I will be changing my rear tire soon as it is very easy to spin it now.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
mattj said:
just something I though was a bit odd. If you check the specs on the 04 the fuel milage is the same as the 03 was and we all no that the 02's and 03's didnt get what they said. And now they have change the gearing that would in turn drop the fuel milage. I just thought it was something interesting to see.

I would like to go to the 28T but I did a few long trips this past year so im not really sure if I want to give up on amymore miles then I do now. Foe me right now this has been one of the hardest thing to decided on because I would love to have the take off that you get with the 28T
Not really that odd when you consider that you don't spend all of your time at a continious RPM and when you're moving up and down through the gears you simply select the one that suits the situation. Overall I noticed little if any reduction in fuel economy. (both around town and on the road)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts