Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mark C
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
28/30 pulley swap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

will a 09dx front pulley 28 teeth swap with 06 vrscr a 30 teeth . i am unsure about the belt width and weather they are the same. i want to go to the smaller 28 teeth pulley as the oz bikes come standard with the larger 30 teeth pulley

Or will i have to get a 28 teeth pulley of a USA 06 vrscr

K&N filter ,Zippers 58ml bodies/stacks, Screaming Eagle Heads , Jones 440/440 cams,Rinehart pipe,Thundermax,Corbin seat,Hyper pro suspension

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'll swap pulleys with you.

The project bike has 8600 miles on it and changing to 17 inch hoops will lower the ratio so I've been thinking of changing to a 30.

Are the belts the same length?

Let me know.

As a side item, do you have a TSSM or TSM?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
The R uses a 1 3/8 inch wide 149T belt with the 28T front pulley. The DX uses a 1 inch wide 150T belt with a 28T front pulley. If you go to a 30T front pulley you will need a 151T belt.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Thanks for the great info.

So, if I want a 30T pulley, do I have to purchase an international item or do other bikes (06 or 07) have the correct size?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Thanks for the great info.

So, if I want a 30T pulley, do I have to purchase an international item or do other bikes (06 or 07) have the correct size?
Buy the international 30T pulley for your year along with the 150T belt. It is a very easy swap. The pulley comes off with three bolts on our bikes, couldn't be simpler. Early bikes in 2002 and 2003 had 30T pulleys but they attached differently and require pullers and a lot more work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Buy the international 30T pulley for your year along with the 150T belt. It is a very easy swap. The pulley comes off with three bolts on our bikes, couldn't be simpler. Early bikes in 2002 and 2003 had 30T pulleys but they attached differently and require pullers and a lot more work.
I'm curious Phil. Instead of replacing the 149T belt with a 150T belt, couldn't you just slide the rear wheel a smidge forward or is there too little play in the rear axle adjustment?

·
Registered
399 Posts
30 and 150

I just put a 30T pulley on my '06 R today (donkl's former sled which now has a new home in 3d canyon land) I tried to use the 149T stock belt and here's the deal: It will work but just barely. My axle cams were at the absolute limit ,nearly riding off the engagement lugs on the SA. This is bad as it makes precise belt tensioning difficult and also the RH cam can ride off the edge while the left is still engaged as there is a tiny bit of slop in the D hole where the cam engages the axle on the nut side. This could cause axle misalignment and might suddenly occur on a hard launch. I test rode it and it was OK but I decided it was not the best way to go and installed the recommended 150T belt (Vrods R Us Ebay deal for $100).

I am a professional bike wrench and would not do a 30/149 on a customer bike. It might be possible to trim the bosses on the SA and get more cam engagement before the axle stops FWD in it's milled slot but that's another story.

As far as the 30 vs 28 I really dig it. It's a good tradeoff for my riding style. Hope that helps....

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I just put a 30T pulley on my '06 R today (donkl's former sled which now has a new home in 3d canyon land) I tried to use the 149T stock belt and here's the deal: It will work but just barely. My axle cams were at the absolute limit ,nearly riding off the engagement lugs on the SA. This is bad as it makes precise belt tensioning difficult and also the RH cam can ride off the edge while the left is still engaged as there is a tiny bit of slop in the D hole where the cam engages the axle on the nut side. This could cause axle misalignment and might suddenly occur on a hard launch. I test rode it and it was OK but I decided it was not the best way to go and installed the recommended 150T belt (Vrods R Us Ebay deal for $100).

I am a professional bike wrench and would not do a 30/149 on a customer bike. It might be possible to trim the bosses on the SA and get more cam engagement before the axle stops FWD in it's milled slot but that's another story.

As far as the 30 vs 28 I really dig it. It's a good tradeoff for my riding style. Hope that helps....
:them:

See, the engineers at Harley do know their business.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts