Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 DX I just picked up a few days ago started running rough, esp around 2500-3K rpm where it would shake the whole bike, and the idle during warm up would get rougher and more erratic the longer it ran (after just a couple min). I also noticed white smoke coming out the pipes right at start up which would go away after a min. (Could that be coolant?) I also think I have had a drop in performance although I can't be sure. It didn't break down or anything but I took it in before anything got worse. Has anyone else had this, or heard of this? I haven't gotten a verdict back from the techs at the dealership yet.

BTW, I have followed the break in to a T, used Chevron 91 and checked all my fluid levels. The problems started showing around 190mi and they've gotten worse. Before that it ran smooth as butter. Besides all this, I LOVE THIS BIKE!

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
Sorry man but the '08 is too new to me but that's great that you've got one. That is one pretty bike. Got any pics'?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I read and responded to your other post. The white smoke at startup is condensation. It is normal because of the size of these exhaust. The rough running at 2500-3000 rpm is most likely the combination of fuel you have and a very lean map. The lean map would also account for rough idle as it gets warmer. For a couple of years now some of the factory maps have been so lean to get them through the epa that under some conditions they can cause the problems you describe. It's not as important what brand of gas you buy IMHO but how and when you buy it.

Always buy premium from stations that see a great deal of traffic, your odds are much better of getting fresher fuel.

Try to buy gas from stations that use a different hose for each octane fuel. With such a small tank your getting a half gallon of what ever the person before you purchased if they have one hose for all grades.

Never and I mean never buy gas while the tankers are putting gas in the ground. All the trash and water that is in the tank is stirred up when they are. Now the stations have filters but you still want to avoid these times. The tank pickup tubes are usually over an inch off the bottom of the tank and almost all tanks even the glass lined have some condensation in the bottom of them after several years. It is the reason the tanks don't pump right off the bottom.

·
Registered
380 Posts
mine runs pretty rough at 2500 to 3000 rpm also, seems to get better after it is good and warmed up. I had the same problem with my 06 warrior and I'm assuming it has something to do with the fuel injection and the lean maps. At this point I'm going to ignore it and I'll just mention it when I go in for my 1000 mile service. The bike doesn't die, just kicks a little when running slow and when cold. Oh, yeah, I've got an 08 AW with less than 500 miles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the shop just called and said there is nothing wrong with my bike. I guess I will assume that it is the combo of lean maps and condensation like many of you have suggested. Maybe after I add pipes, air cleaner and a tuner the lean maps will be a thing of the past. It still seemed to me that something changed at about 190mi but I guess there's nothing I can say or do about that now unless the symptoms get worse. Thanks for all your help 1130!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts