Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I just installed a Fitzgerald 26T front pulley on my 2005 VRSCSE and ran it's first 150 miles, noticed the belt is suffering some erosion on it's outer border for what I can see, check pics below. The tension was properly adjusted as per manual at 6mm deflection with 10 pounds pressure unloaded, straight and un-jacked. Is that kind of normal while the belt "gets used" to the new pulley or the outer lip of the pulley is just a mm too close in? Thank for any help gentlemen!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
You should see a small space between the belt and the pulley sides. Not much but some.
Your SE has a belt width somewhat different from the normal V-Rod.

My 2003 (180 tire) measures 1 3/8"
My 2007 (240 tire) measures at 1"

Yours should be different. May be the pulley does not fit the 05/06 SE machines.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Only the '06 SE2 uses the 1" belt. That was for clearance for the 240 tire. Your bike uses the standard belt used from '04 - '06 on the A,B,D, and R models.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Hi guys, I just installed a Fitzgerald 26T front pulley on my 2005 VRSCSE and ran it's first 150 miles, noticed the belt is suffering some erosion on it's outer border for what I can see, check pics below. The tension was properly adjusted as per manual at 6mm deflection with 10 pounds pressure unloaded, straight and un-jacked. Is that kind of normal while the belt "gets used" to the new pulley or the outer lip of the pulley is just a mm too close in? Thank for any help gentlemen!
You say the tension was properly adjusted but did you check that the wheel was aligned? Measure from center of swingarm bolt to rear axle on both sides if you didn't already.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys! Indeed my belt is the narrow 180 tire type, offset wider ones where 2006-on if I'm not mistaken. I will check the rear wheel alignment this evening, any other recommendations will be appreciated!

·
brett
9,338 Posts
i had the belt sitting up on the very edge of the pulley ,but like dark vader suggested my wheel was not perfectly alighned ,,i used a coat hanger wire and bent it to stick into the middle the swingarm bolts and measured and remeasured and moved a little and eventually i got it lined up and then my belt tracked with about one mm off the side wall of the pulley,i have that pesky bit of wire tucked away in a nice safe place now for next time i need to measure it if ever

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot Brett! Now I have a better idea how to do it and some hope that it's not actually the pulley being offset inwards or something.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You might want to check rear pulley teeth too

The Sides of the belt never seem to be perfectly covered with a protective coating.
But the fabric on the tooth surfaces should not be visible; That belt is not looking good.

According to the service manual your belt should even be replaced...
A "healthy" belt should look something like this:

We've discussed belt wear in this thread: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139815&page=3 (look at post #35) when forum member VanislVRod had issues with belt wear.

Something might be amiss on your setup, the new pulley should not be causing that wear. Is your rear pulley chrome peeling with sharp edges? :2cents:

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I checked and adjusted the rear wheel alignment yesterday and the belt just moved in almost 1 mm so I guess that would solve the problem. I'll try to test ride it soon and let you know if it was solved so if anyone have the same problem they can try the same solution.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Updating, ran the bike for some miles and apparently the problem was solved, the rear wheel was not properly aligned the first time, so thanks again for your priceless help guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts