Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing some pictures of the actual "grinding" needed to instal the Fitzgerald Motorsports 26 tooth pulley/sprocket. I tried to fill the title with as much key words as possible so it can show up in the forum search engine easier since I had a hard time finding any pics myself when I did the installation a couple months ago.

First picture shows how the pulley fits without the grinding, the others show the actual grinding requiered on the bolts behind the pulley and the last one shows the clearance of the bolts with the actual pulley installed. Make sure to check this clearance before red-loctiting/toqueing the pulley bolts!

Here is the thread I found on that accasion and I'm adding here some more of my own, Regards!
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63900

Attachments

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
You did a good job, but...

Check it often to make sure your bearing is ok.

Out of balance can cause it to go.

Recommend the correct sprocket to do it right.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You did a good job, but...

Check it often to make sure your bearing is ok.

Out of balance can cause it to go.

Recommend the correct sprocket to do it right.
Not trying to be a smartass RSC.
Your theory in this particular applicalion I would disagree'

First the triangular mount is not even close to being balaned from the MOCO.

The amount of Rpm's generated by the countershaft and pulley, given the diameter and rotational speed will not damage the bearing.

Second, If a bearing did fail it was ready to well prior to this mod.

The mods necessaary have virtually no impact on the bearing nor the crankcases.

While some don't like the idea of the minimal grindind required it simply does not effect anything. Again not to argrue but IMO.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
No problem at all this is what we are here for to learn.

I thought I would try the same thing...

Then did it the right way with the right parts.

There have been others that have done this and had problems.

I do not know if they wish to post or not.

I can tell you from experience with the front pulley not being centered.

I had a vibration with improper wear on the belt.

Then there have been other that have had no issues at all.

Good luck

Rod

·
Registered
276 Posts
No problem at all this is what we are here for to learn.

I thought I would try the same thing...

Then did it the right way with the right parts.

There have been others that have done this and had problems.

I do not know if they wish to post or not.

I can tell you from experience with the front pulley not being centered.

I had a vibration with improper wear on the belt.

Then there have been other that have had no issues at all.

Good luck

Rod
I am too, just my 2 cents.Thanks Rod

·
Registered
30 Posts
26T Pulley Tolerances

I had some similar tolerance issues with the FM 26T and was also concerned with balance and potential pre-mature bearing wear or worse, failure. I centered the pulley as best as possible using equal thickness shims and torqued to spec. Even though checking periodically, I'm still concerned that if not correctly centered/balanced that belt tightnening/loosening on each rotation will eventually take it's toll on the bearings. The original 28T pulley on my 07 AW had slight 'wedges' cast in it that made a tight fit. Would welcome hearing more comments on these issues. Thanks, Gord

Attachments

·
Flat Broke
282 Posts
Not that I'm adding anything helpful to this. I just thought I would thank the OP for posting. I had no idea modding was involved with the 26t. I always thought it was a bolt on addition. The only issue I knew about was the belt tension and had seen some people using a piece of aluminum on the rear to get the right tension. I have been debating this mod for some time.

·
Noel
4,602 Posts
I had some similar tolerance issues with the FM 26T and was also concerned with balance and potential pre-mature bearing wear or worse, failure. I centered the pulley as best as possible using equal thickness shims and torqued to spec. Even though checking periodically, I'm still concerned that if not correctly centered/balanced that belt tightnening/loosening on each rotation will eventually take it's toll on the bearings. The original 28T pulley on my 07 AW had slight 'wedges' cast in it that made a tight fit. Would welcome hearing more comments on these issues. Thanks, Gord
:them:

Did the Same, if you want to be real precise, use a dial indicator to confirm that it's centered on the output shaft.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
We have sold nearly 300 of these units in exactly a three year span and I personally have never heard of premature bearing failure because a pulley was not centered.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So if I buy one for my 08 DX am I going to have to modify it to make it work or is this "off center" issue fixed now? I don't want to spend the cash on one of these only to spend more to make it work...<sigh> I was going to order one of these today. Back to the search button...

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
So if I buy one for my 08 DX am I going to have to modify it to make it work or is this "off center" issue fixed now? I don't want to spend the cash on one of these only to spend more to make it work...<sigh> I was going to order one of these today. Back to the search button...
Far as i'm aware, there isn't a fitment issue on the offset like there is on the standard. I had the offset on mine and it bolted right on whereas the standard will require grinding.

Thanks for showing these pics. I'm actually headed home now to install mine. I talked to Scott this morning and discussed this very thing. Great service btw! Can't wait to see what she rides like!

·
Noel
4,602 Posts
Far as i'm aware, there isn't a fitment issue on the offset like there is on the standard. I had the offset on mine and it bolted right on whereas the standard will require grinding.

Thanks for showing these pics. I'm actually headed home now to install mine. I talked to Scott this morning and discussed this very thing. Great service btw! Can't wait to see what she rides like!
:them:

I've purchased several of Scotty's products all are great, and would highly recommend you continue with your plan....

-BUT- IMHO and actual experience, one should exercise due diligence, several Thousandths of of slop between the new bolts was enough the cause an eccentric that was noticeable, I would like to see a tapper or shoulder on the bolts which would bring the sprocket & flange into perfect alignment.

·
streetfighter
50 Posts
i put mine on summer of 09 took to california by way of sturgess from ohio last summer have around 10.000 miles on 26-t purchased used on here never a problem except a little gas milage on trips streetfighter

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
UncleFord you have nothing to worry about it is the easiest bolt on mod on the market and it is instant power felt off the line. All the 26T pulleys we have made over a three period NOT a single one has been returned for defects or dislike!

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
UncleFord you have nothing to worry about it is the easiest bolt on mod on the market and it is instant power felt off the line. All the 26T pulleys we have made over a three period NOT a single one has been returned for defects or dislike!
Scott is the man on the pulleys. I recommend his pulleys. :notworth:

There are alot of people that come on to the forum wanting more power ect...ect...

My first recommendation is to get one these pulleys and feel the power you already have in the seat of the pants. :D

You will very happy with this mod. Then if you are not happy and want more HP...

Scott is the man again for you BB needs.

rod

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
26T versus 30T...

I'm assuming 26T LOWERS top speed and makes the gears shorter? So you get a quicker launch?

I run up 1st so fast, I'm bouncing off the rev limiter before I get a chance to shift. Looking (also) to increase top speed & lower my cruise RPM's in 5th.

So a 26T would be of no real benefit to me (with my goals in mind), but a 30T would accomplish what I'm looking for?

Rick
30T and Belt of course...

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
SickRick you dont want a 30T it is too tall believe me, unless you are cruising to Sturgis this summer and need gas mileage I wouldnt recomend it.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
26T versus 30T...

I'm assuming 26T LOWERS top speed and makes the gears shorter? So you get a quicker launch?

I run up 1st so fast, I'm bouncing off the rev limiter before I get a chance to shift. Looking (also) to increase top speed & lower my cruise RPM's in 5th.

So a 26T would be of no real benefit to me (with my goals in mind), but a 30T would accomplish what I'm looking for?

Rick
30T and Belt of course...
Scott knows his stuff, if you want normal cruising RPMs, stay with the 28T; with the 30T you'll hate yourself on every stop light. The 26T will make your shifting a little bit shorter, but with those HP numbers you've got, it will surely pull HARD! :diablo:

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
'Tanks guys...

26T would pull hard, shift faster, etc.

I've always been a "roll-on" kinda guy - I suck off the line...

Wonder how the "overseas" guys do - and why the HDI stuff is 30T.

Scott - need to get up with you this coming week on the rear pulley thing and a couple of other items...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts