Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was left stranded on the side of the road for over 2 hours by my brand new bike and its ever so wonderful complimentary road side assistance program…. I am utterly in awe how a motorcycle…any vehicle really…could break with so few miles logged, not to mention the cost of the machine!!! Then I to add to this $%&* I almost could not get the H.O.G. to cover my tow to Ray Price HD (Raleigh, NC). After being on hold for over 25 minutes and then getting the run around on who would be responsible for covering the tow they finally sent a truck out to pick up my bike covering only $100 of the tow cost… Not to mention booked a tow company that took over an hour and a half to arrive along a major road in Raleigh, NC!!

Currently my bike is sitting at the dealer and may not even be officially looked at until Monday morning, and who knows when actual work will kick off!!

So far is all I know… the check engine light and oil light are continuously on (oil level is fine...always checked) and the fuel gauge is broken (stuck at a half tank). The dealer has not yet had a chance to put it on the computer and get the official prognosis, but it’s not looking good...nor did it feel good when the bike turned off going down the interstate at a cool 80. Not that it was difficult to get the bike off the road, but come on, a brand new motorcycle crapping out after a few months of riding.... I thought Harley could do better than that.... I am beginning to question my reasoning for getting away from foreign motorcycles that you can run into the ground with simple maintenance!!!!

Honestly I am absolutely disgusted in Harley to put out such a product… 2400 miles and bust…won’t even start… pure :paper:

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Sorry to hear of your 'adventure'. Hell of a way to have to introduce yourself to the forum!!! Welcome, though - there are many of us here with many millions of trouble-free miles... these engines are generally pretty tough.

Can you get more specific on your bike and symptoms? Any sputtering, warning? How much gas in the tank when it died? Did you try and check trouble codes??

Hope things get squared away for you.

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
:vrodforu: Man, all the information you can ask for is here on the forum. There is alot of technical and mechanical knowledge within these electronic walls. I hope that your particular problem is minor and fixed ASAP. Again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2007 DX - no mods yet, so nothing to do with that
The bike ran great up until its last few miles then all of a sudden it began to lose all its power. It progressively became weaker and weaker until there was nothing left and it just coasted over to the side of the road. It felt like the bike was slowly turned off....odd feeling. I instinctively thought it was the fuel and the gauge just must have broke, but from what I could tell (remember it’s at night) there was still gas in the tank…not much but enough to slosh a bit.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Do you know how many miles you had on that tank of fuel?

Does anyone know if the '07s suffer from the same fuel flange problem as the earlier models?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Hink - I'll ask a dumb question... when the tow arrived, did you try to put gas in it? And when you tried tuning it over, did it stumble at all or just crank?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
brentley said:
Does anyone know if the '07s suffer from the same fuel flange problem as the earlier models?
Not according to the tech bulletin.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I just wonder if you ran out of gas. I think you can run out and still have fuel in the tank enough to make a sloshing sound. If you get below the pickup, then even though there's fuel there, you can't use it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I asked the driver for any gas, but to go along with the nights events....he had none. A tow truck with not a drop of gas?!?!?! I know!

I am hoping its just a fuel problem, but the thing concerning me is the other dumby lights kicking on...... possibly indicating more problems

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
brentley said:
I just wonder if you ran out of gas. I think you can run out and still have fuel in the tank enough to make a sloshing sound. If you get below the pickup, then even though there's fuel there, you can't use it.
I agree. Don't know about the 07s, but I'm guessing the fuel pump assembly is similar to my 06 - and that has a little rubber foor keeping the fuel pump and intake just above the floor of the tank.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
russellhinkle said:
I asked the driver for any gas, but to go along with the nights events....he had none. A tow truck with not a drop of gas?!?!?! I know!

I am hoping its just a fuel problem, but the thing concerning me is the other dumby lights kicking on...... possibly indicating more problems
Somone else can chime in aon this - but if you run out of gas, would that not trigger a low fuel pressure error code? That could explain the idiot light.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Um, I think you might have run it out of fuel...

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Louis said:
Um, I think you might have run it out of fuel...
Mebbe.... mebbe not. I just like to start out with the simple stuff first: fuel, spark...

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I would bet it something not too major, I trust my bike more than I've ever trusted any other bike, I really think the V is a sturdy built bike :thumb:

hey but :welcome: to the forums :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Running out of fuel would explain some of the symptoms but feeling the bike go..it didn't feel like that at all. It still had gas when it died. It didn't spit or sputter at all before it just went down completely... so i am hoping it is just gas, but its not seeming that way to me.

So far i know the gas gauge is broke...there was no way a half a tank of gas in there as it was reading, and the check engine and oil idiot light are stuck on.

When i cranked it to start it a few times after it died it didn't even sputter like it was sucking any gas. I even tilted the bike trying to see if that is what it was.....nothing......

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
well, when it runs out, it just goes... no real sputtering... tilting it probably wouldn't help, unless you could maybe tilt it back. Side to side wouldn't gain you anything.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Hink - any chance you could run to the dealers' with a can of gas and check? Also you could try to pull up error codes if the gas thing doesn't work.

The gas gauges on these bikes are pretty worthless. Most of us use the trip meter or aftermarket (V-gauge) to keep track of fuel.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts