Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok! I've looked at the "How To" posts for swingarm 180 to 240 conversion. There is nothing which explains exactly what to do and parts needed. Some say yes or no to machining rear pulley. Some say no front pulley off-set some say yes. Some say narrrower belt/stock belt. Does anyone have the real answer? I have an '03 with HD Roadwinder wheels, rear 180/18 with true floating rotors all the way around and stock calipers. I plan on widening rear wheel to accomodate a 240, not sure where to have done. In widening the rear wheels should I go 8 or 8.5?

I'm looking for step by step instructions if anyone has them for a stock '03. Any help ASAP would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance to any input!:notworth:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
There are lots of ways to skin that cat. That is why you find seemingly contradicting information.

You can use a stock Narrow drive setup: Front pulley, rear pulley, narrow belt, and 8.5 inch wheel from HD to get what you're after.

you can go machining what you got: Kosman widens rear wheels, front pulley machined down for clearance, and a little grinding on the front part of the caliper perch on the rear swingarm to clear the larger tire.

You can go complete aftermarket: Call Hogpro for details.

Best of luck.
RJ

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I go with option 2 above. How much would I need to machine on the rear pulley? Would I be able to maintain the stock belt or need to go narrower? How will the belt stay on pulley if ridge around pulley is machined off? What side to machine and how much? I guess this part is confusing me. Would I need to get an off-set front pulley? Where? Thanks for your help!

·
Skunked 2003 VRSCA
92 Posts
I'm looking at the same question as you are, also for my 03A. My own research seems to indicate there are several different ways to do this.

I think I'll end up with a HogPro 280 kit and have Kosman widen the rear wheel since I do like the stock wheels. My understanding is that if I go with the above plan the only thing left to do is find someone to cut me a new fender. I'll most likely throw some stock length 440s into the mix while I've got it apart.

Not sure the above plan is 100% dead on but I think it's close. Beyond that, I'm starting to consider handling vs style of rear tire size. So far it seems most people think a 260 handles "nearly stock" but a 280 is "noticeably different". What exactly that means I'm unsure of.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
BlueCamel said:
I'm looking at the same question as you are, also for my 03A. My own research seems to indicate there are several different ways to do this.

I think I'll end up with a HogPro 280 kit and have Kosman widen the rear wheel since I do like the stock wheels. My understanding is that if I go with the above plan the only thing left to do is find someone to cut me a new fender. I'll most likely throw some stock length 440s into the mix while I've got it apart.

Not sure the above plan is 100% dead on but I think it's close. Beyond that, I'm starting to consider handling vs style of rear tire size. So far it seems most people think a 260 handles "nearly stock" but a 280 is "noticeably different". What exactly that means I'm unsure of.

It will take a little riding to get used to a 240, let alone a 260 and higher. Maybe it's me but the first few rides after the 240 install, saw me almost running off of the road going around sharp curves. You have to lean more and counter steer more to get the bike to lean into the curves. Now I'm fairly used to it but the first few rides had me shaken up and asking myself, was the good looks worth it!! Now I say, hell yeah..........

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
I own a machine shop and didnt even feel like dealing with it so I just bought the entrie setup off of Hogpro, Jerry is badass!

·
Ride Free, Alex!!!
1,422 Posts
My :2cents:...FWIW...

I went with HogPro's 240 widened swingarm, and bought wheels & tires from them with matching rotors, rear pulley, etc. For certain, it's not the cheapest way to go, but since I saved all the parts I removed, I can go back to a pure stock VRSCA in a few hours, if I need to. I figured that would give me the most options on resale...I can put the bike back to pure stock, or I can leave it heavily modified for the next owner, and eBay the custom parts.

I was lucky enough to find Jerry had some takeoffs from one of their test mules that had less than 200 miles on them. Since I had some flexibility in the wheel designs I liked, Jerry was able to offer the swingarm, "6 Pack" wheels with tires all mounted up, matching rotors, pulley - everything - for a real sweet price. I figured I saved about 600 clams. The only catch was there were no instructions available when I got the kit. So...I wrote some step-by-step instructions once I completed my install. They're posted in the "How To" section of the Forum, and from the looks of the hit count, they must really be in use by a lot of people! (Good...glad I couild pay someting back to the Forum!)

HogPro even asked to use my instructions on their website, and include them in their widened swing arm kits.

Anyway....jjust another opinion. I like my HogPro set up...give Jerry a call and see what he's got in stock. They're great folks to do business with...!

Just my opinion...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts