Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in putting a 240 rear tire on my stock 2003 VRSCA. Not looking for extra chrome or any fancy wheels and would like to keep as many of the stock parts as possible to keep the cost down. I have read a number of posts and below is what I have gathered so far, regarding what I would need to do to get this done. If you know what the approximate cost for each of the items or steps is, please help me out (my guess may be too far off). I thought I would be happy with the stock tire but looking all the 240s is starting to give me a skinny tire complex.
1- Widen the stock rear wheel (is it Kossman that does it for around $600?)
2- Machine the pully to make it thinner (I guess the cost is around a $100, but not sure where I can get this done)
3- Buy a thinner belt (about $80?)
4- A new 240 metzler tire ($200 or so)
Is that all I would need? If my assumptions are correct, than I guess I can get this done for under $1000.
What you guys think?

·
Registered
627 Posts
From the info I have gathered that is about it. I will be doing mine in a few weeks so I can let you know then if anything was missed. You will have to clearance your stock swingarm a bit but the instructions are here on this forum. V-MOD can modify your pulley for you if you don't have a machine shop locally that can do it. I don't know what they charge for just the narrowing. I got a quote for narrowing and chroming and it was $299.

Tim

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
I would order the front offset pulley too.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
Front offset pulley is not needed if you stay with a stock widened wheel, cut down rear pulley and thin belt.....It can't hurt but not needed....Don't believe me, ask V-Mod......

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Just did this. Call Steve at V-Mod for help. Cutting your pulley 199.00, narrow belt 111.00, upper belt quard 149.00. I also has Kosman widen my wheel to 8.5 inches, about 600.00. Staeve is great to talk to and is very helpful. Check my gallery for some pics.

·
Fisher of Men
905 Posts
Looks awsome taximech! Can they do this with a solid wheel? I really want to have this done! Did you widen your swing arm or have it done?

Ride Safe & God Bless, JC

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
They can do it with most any wheel. Swingarm is stock, but chrome. You only have to notch the caliper pad on right side, everything fits.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, what about the saddlebags? Can the saddle bags (OEM kind) be used with a 240 rear tire under a stock rear fender? I have them now and would like to keep them if possible.

·
CEMIRT Lifer
524 Posts
Stock Wheel Widening

taximech said:
Just did this. Call Steve at V-Mod for help. Cutting your pulley 199.00, narrow belt 111.00, upper belt quard 149.00. I also has Kosman widen my wheel to 8.5 inches, about 600.00. Staeve is great to talk to and is very helpful. Check my gallery for some pics.
Nice looking scoot, Taximech. Just bought a set of silver 10-spokes and will send the rear to Abe @ Kosman next week to widen to 8.5. What was their turn-around time on the service?
Chazy

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Beeek said:
Nobody's said anything about losing or grinding the saddlebag brackets. Well?
They need to be ground down with a 200. They need to go away with a 240.

·
Registered
666 Posts
so, let's just say that I have a set of PM wheels on my bike, and want to do a 240 rear tire. I can just buy an 8.5" wheel and re-use my hub adapters, get the narrow belt kit from V-Mod, have the rear pulley narrowed, remove the saddlebag mounts, and grind the edge off the caliper mount? Hell, that's easier than I thought!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I shopped and looked around for a while and wound up spending just under $1800 to install a 240 into my stock 03.I found a deal on chrome Weld smoothies and did the install myself,used the stock rear pulley,modified the front pulley and swingarm,this included all new brakes and tires too.

The inner fender needs to be cut,or widened for clearance and the bag brackets will never be used again.A set of 12in shocks will help w the looks too.

Take your time,read around the forums,get the bike raised up and stripped,then start fitting the parts.There will most likely be some unforeseen snags as always w a custom mod like this,so make sure you don't have a ride planned for Sunday afternoon as you start the job at 7 am in the morning.I had to machine a socket down to fit the pulley flange bolt and this took a few hours of traveling and waiting my turn on a lathe,ya just can't fore see it all.
Don't forget to have plenty of tape and protective rags,like an old blanket and some towels for covering the bike and parts that might get scratched while wiggling pieces around.

Check-check and recheck before the first road test.

You'll love the 240 along w the great feeling from doing it yourself.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Burn Baby Burn!!
700 Posts
I was under the assumption that if you had your swingarm widened then you will not have to have the rear pulley machined down therefor saving the expense of that and the expense of buying a new belt. If the stock swingarm is notched only then the pulley would have to be machined. Am I right on this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys. I live down in southern Mexico so don't have as easy access to parts. What I did was order a 240 kit from HogPro, along with some 7-spoke wheels and other goodies. It is all being assembled by a shop up in McAllen and I'm scheduled to pick the "new" scooter up this next weekend. The shop has kept me informed and all appears to going together good. Yes, custom work doesn't always "work", so, we'll see next week. BTW, the guys at HogPro were very knowledgeable and very professional. I realize that this isn't a "do-it-yourself" comment but a lot of us want a fattie on the rear. I just hope my wife doesn't find out how much I've spent!

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
shurshot said:
Looks awsome taximech! Can they do this with a solid wheel? I really want to have this done! Did you widen your swing arm or have it done?

Ride Safe & God Bless, JC
I got an email back from Kosman a week or so ago about widening my stock solid wheel. He said $675 to widen, smooth the welds and polish it.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
There are several different ways to stuff a 240 in the ass end of a V-Rod.
I stuffed mine in the stock swing arm w the wide pulley.
A desicision needs to be made on what components will be used and the compatability of them all.

Elrod on the V-Rod

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Not to hijack, but ElRod what tag bracket is that, I like it!!!!!!!!!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
taximech said:
Not to hijack, but ElRod what tag bracket is that, I like it!!!!!!!!!

The gray part is a stock modified dogs ass.
The chrome tag bracket came from JCWhitney and is mounted upside down,the light is supposed to be on top.I tapped the holes and came through the back side w 6mm bolts and then little bung covers to hide the counter sunk holes.
There's a custom shop down the road from me that sells some but they only have the run light,no brake light.With a resistor it could be made to have the dual function,it's an LED.If JC doesn't have um let me know and I'll get the phone # for the shop,along w their part #.
They sell for around $40.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts