Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my esteemed coleauges...
What are my choices (with $prices$ please :broke: ) for putting on a 240 setup. Understand that the stock swingarm can be used... I would appreciate any links as well... Thanks in advance! :cheers:
Mike :cool:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
VRODScout said:
How about the $$$ those of you that have done this???? Pros and Cons?
Mike
5-10k depending on how trick you get! :diablo: You gould do it for as little as $1500-$2000 if you go CHEAP!I had to replace my rear fender with a resin peice.I had to repaint the whole bike with a 3k paint job just so the fenders would match! ;)

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
It seems the cheapest way to go is with having speed point widen your stock rim,use your existing swingarm,fender...i believe the only thing else you need is spacers.
Chris (ubetyerazz) has some nice info, maybe he will chime in.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Shawn Nelson said:
It seems the cheapest way to go is with having speed point widen your stock rim,use your existing swingarm,fender...i believe the only thing else you need is spacers.
Chris (ubetyerazz) has some nice info, maybe he will chime in.
Unless you want the "motocross" look then the stock fender has to go. I saw at least 3 V-Rods @ bikeweek that had 240's, 2 with custom fenders and 1 with a stock fender that had 1/4" gouges in their tires due to bottoming out on various parts of the inner fender. In fact, the 200 is within 1/32" of hitting the inner fender support brackets unless they are trimmed. The entire inner fender needs to be modified to take a 240 from what I've seen unless you prevent the suspension from going past about a 2" deflection from the stock sag height. I may be wrong but that's what I've observed.

I'm sorry but I don't think there are any "cheap" ways to go to a 240, only expensive and insanely expensive ;)

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Mark is right.It cost Rick's 100's of 1000's of $$$$ to engineer their $hit.It's better then OEM.Not OEM HACKED UP! :yak: I have Too much invested in my Self and My Bike to fool around with anything but the Best.At the speeds my bike goes I do Not Need a Wheel or Tire ISSUE! :soapbox: I'm sure if you try hard enough anything is possible! ;)

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
I would personally get a wider back fender, i am just stating, that it could be done with the stock one, untill someone had the means to purchase the wide one.
Kaz i believe even though the stock wheel is hacked it has to pass german specs (TUV), and from what i hear thats pretty tough.

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I am not opposed to replacing the rear fender, but I hate to loose the stock annodized look! I am getting ready to sell my house when I move this summer and the real estate prices have shot through the roof... it is definately a sellers market here! So I may have a bit-o-scratch to spend! :D
Mike

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yea Team :hyper:

As per our transmission quality has to be your watch word because at speed as stated by Kaz you don't need any issues. Pro. Ricks seems to have the toughest standard and by far cost's the most. They rank at the top of the market. Con if something happens will your local bike shop be able to pull maint on a high quality Rick wheel?? Most venders I've talked too will sale Rick's wheels but they can't work on them, I'm right down the road from Rick's here in Germany but if I can't get service if something goes wrong I defeat the purpose if joe bike mech can't fix it, so I'm going to wait a year and let the Market catch up and prices come down before I make the leap this is a big step you can down load there price list off the web just know that it will cost about 300.00 U.S more than you see on the price list with the Euro exchange rate shipping ect, I hope helps bro. :ride:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
jcolodny said:
This thread contains the information on Speed Point:

http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2678

Note: The most the stock swingarm can handle is a 7.75" rim. The 240 tires that I know off all start at 8.00" as the minimum range. I am not saying that is would seat proberly, but be careful.
my swing arm is stock and my Rear wheels is Bigger than 7.75in.!The Ricks wheel is Offset.What are You talking about? :confused:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Mike,
I just finished up installing a 240 setup I got from Steve at Main Street Motorcycles (V-Mod). As usual he was a great guy to deal with, the stock fender is used in this setup but you remove the inner fender struts. I got RST wheels like Rick's Wheel also from Germany and TUV approved. It also converts from belt to chain final drive. I will try to get some photo's posted soon.
Good Luck
Kevin

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Kevin, welcome to the forum and make sure you get some pics up.

Kaz, how are things going with that wheel contact you were baiting us with a while back???? I'm waiting on you for the great new wheel for my 240!! :kaz:

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RVROD,
I looked at Steve's set-up.. but I'm not sold on a chain drive (no offense Kaz-meister!). The eurocomponents swingarm isn't as pretty as Rick's, but it is also more reasonable! I am just going to have to go ugly or stay on the porch!
Mike

·
Registered
596 Posts
Mike
The chain is not as bad as it sounds, the occasional cleaning & lubeing they have been using them for years and with todays chain lubes not near the mess. It is one more thing to have too worry about though
Best
Kevin

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
I have yet to see a 240 in person. :banghead: someday I will then I will make up my mind about it then.Really bites, cuz I know of only 7 other v-rodders,in my area.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.