Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you madmen that have done the 240 conversion:

Do all of you have grooves worn into your rear wheel ( like African Paul )from the tire hitting the underside of the fender?

If so what set up do you have?

If not what set up do you have?

Does putting on a lowering kit make it worse or not?

Can an 8.5 inch wheel be used with a belt setup or do you have to go to a chain drive? Assuming using the stock swingarm
Thanks

·
Registered
885 Posts
james1102 said:
All you madmen that have done the 240 conversion:

Do all of you have grooves worn into your rear wheel ( like African Paul )from the tire hitting the underside of the fender?

If so what set up do you have?

If not what set up do you have?

Does putting on a lowering kit make it worse or not?

Can an 8.5 inch wheel be used with a belt setup or do you have to go to a chain drive? Assuming using the stock swingarm
Thanks
James those grooves are my own fault. I was so hot to trot when I finally got the wheels fitted I took her for a ride without checking the clearance on the licence plate bolts. :spank:
The damage happened on the first bump I hit!
After that I cut down the bolts & now the bolts never touch the tyre.
A bigger problem is that the fender is too narrow to accomodate the tyre under heavy suspension compression, so both sides (not the centre) of the tyre rub under the fender when two up on a bad road, & unfortunately England has plenty of them! I can see no way round this.
The other cock up I made was to cleverly (so I thought) put the lead balance weights inside the rim so as not to disfigure my wheels.
They came unstuck the other day & are now loose inside the tyre. Under 10 miles an hour I sound like a wedding parade pulling tin cans on a string! :slap:
When the tyre is a bit more worn I will replace it, but it's too expensive an item to change out now, the grooves are only about 1/8" deep so I'm not concerned from a safety point of view. Is it embarrassing? Oh Yeah.
The only way I can see to keep the fender is to reduce the suspension travel by at least 50% or go for a rigid rear, neither of which appeal.
The swing arm I used has lowered the rear of the bike about an inch which is not helping the situation, so for me the only route now is a wider fender.

·
Come back Max
435 Posts
The other cock up I made was to cleverly (so I thought) put the lead balance weights inside the rim so as not to disfigure my wheels.
They came unstuck the other day & are now loose inside the tyre.
Under 10 miles an hour I sound like a wedding parade pulling tin cans on a string! :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Vincent said:
They came unstuck the other day & are now loose inside the tyre.
Under 10 miles an hour I sound like a wedding parade pulling tin cans on a string! :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:
Hey Vincent, is that really your house? I live in a hole in the damn road!!! :thumb:

·
Come back Max
435 Posts
african paul said:
Hey Vincent, is that really your house? I live in a hole in the damn road!!! :thumb:
But you get to play with nipple rings!!!

Yes it is. It's taken from my neighbours garden across the other side of the pond.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Vincent said:
But you get to play with nipple rings!!!

Yes it is. It's taken from my neighbours garden across the other side of the pond.
Nipple rings are the least of it mate!! Nice pad, mind me asking what you do? :plause:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts