Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys.

Has anyone fitted a 23" wheel on the front? Does the fork need to be raked? Or will it fit with the stock rake?

Anybody have pics?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I have never heard of a 23", a couple 21's but never a 23". You might be right with the rake, clearing the radiator might be tricky with a 23".

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL...i might stick with a 21":) Unless someone can chime in and let me know if a 23" will work with stock configuration?

Maybe I should get a 21" and drop the front--that would look sikkkkk!

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh you fcuker! I thought, "damn he must be good at photoshop!" LOL!

It wouldn't look bad, I don't think.

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it a taboo for Harleys to have larger wheels in the front like how sportbikes get made fun of for having chrome wheels?

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Hey, guys.

Has anyone fitted a 23" wheel on the front? Does the fork need to be raked? Or will it fit with the stock rake?

Anybody have pics?

Thanks!
Try Nick Trask. I know they change the rake of Baggers all the time, so you can run a bigger front wheel and still have the bike sit level and handle properly.

www.traskperformance.com

I know teflondon aka: Julius, from here on the Forum, sent his current Hot Rod Bagger build to Trask for frame work.

This past spring, at bike week, I met a group from Ohio and they were running 23" with one guy running a 26" on highly tricked out Road Kings.

I have a turbo D model with a 21" and it handles just fine.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Is it a taboo for Harleys to have larger wheels in the front like how sportbikes get made fun of for having chrome wheels?
Most H-D's have a larger wheel in the front than in the back so I guess it is ok (21" front with a 16" or 18" rear).

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
Is there a handling benefit to having the bigger rim/tire or ist it purley cosmetic?
What about unsprung weight?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Is there a handling benefit to having the bigger rim/tire or ist it purley cosmetic?
What about unsprung weight?
Dirt bikes use 21 inch front hoops to roll over sharp bumps and bridge big gnarly ruts without tucking the front end. It slows the steering down quite a bit by adding trail, nice if your are desert riding and need to bisect a pucker bush at 80 mph, though you will notice most dirt bikes with such big front wheels use leading axles to take out some of that excess trail. The front will be more forgiving of rider mistakes to a degree, but you loose a lot of chuckability. Geez, I think the stock 19 inch front hoop is needlessly large, and someone wants to go with a 21! Ugh. Appearance uber alles. Function? What's that?

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, Patm. Do you have pics of yours?

I compared my 19" with the 21" pictured in the link above, I couldn't see a difference in size.

Did you observe a noticeable difference?

Thanks,
TP

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yo, h2oV...That looks badasss!!!

Now that I see a bike strictly from the side, I can see a huge difference.

Was your front lowered?

Was your front rake althered?

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Hey, Patm. Do you have pics of yours?

I compared my 19" with the 21" pictured in the link above, I couldn't see a difference in size.

Did you observe a noticeable difference?

Thanks,
TP
Check post # 15 and open up the link.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts