Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so a little bit of a back story.
I purchased a NRS from a dealer. It had a stage 1 installed with V & H. I was told it had a tune on it.
I went into Harley the other day to put a stage 2 in. They asked what tuner i was using. I have no idea as I purchased the bike used. I can not find any tuner on the bike.
So does this mean I do not have a tune on the bike? I want to go to a stage two but do not want to purchase something I do not need.
I have to go with Harley as I still have warrenty for 3 years.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Ok so a little bit of a back story.
I purchased a NRS from a dealer. It had a stage 1 installed with V & H. I was told it had a tune on it.
I went into Harley the other day to put a stage 2 in. They asked what tuner i was using. I have no idea as I purchased the bike used. I can not find any tuner on the bike.
So does this mean I do not have a tune on the bike? I want to go to a stage two but do not want to purchase something I do not need.
I have to go with Harley as I still have warrenty for 3 years.
Dealer can hook up to Digital Tech and see what calibration is in there. Most likely tuned with SESPT or SERT at dealer so the ECM is flashed and no external tuner will be present to see.
Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you that makes sense. I said that to the parts desk but they said no would not work. Can the dealer do the same tune when installing the stage 2. Saves the money of buying a pro street turner.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Thank you that makes sense. I said that to the parts desk but they said no would not work. Can the dealer do the same tune when installing the stage 2. Saves the money of buying a pro street turner.
Don't think you asked the right person. Even I can see what cal you have with 3 software levels I can choose from, let alone that really expensive DT tool they have in service departments . Even though it might not be able to see and edit it, it will have a non stock cal id number to it assigned by whoever tuned it before. Talking to service or the actual tuning person might have yielded a different answer. As for the tune, if they have a dyno, they should be able to tune it, however, I've not been impressed by any dealer tunes so far and it seems any ill running is blamed on the SE cams as their way out to make it right. It's a gamble at best. True, you save buying the tuner but if the tune isn't great, it will cost you again to make it right.
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts