Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've imported a 2016 NRS from the states to Australia with a custom swing arm to suit a 300 rear. The wheel has perfect alignment and has been centred here I Australia as the wheel was 7.5mm or 9/32" tracking the belt to the outside of the front pulley/sprocket. So much pressure it pushed the pulleys belt holding plate off and destroyed my final drive belt. After getting that issue fixed. I've been out on multiple rides, have come home and noticed that belt stop plate has been pushed off again yet the belt still sits somewhat central on the the front pulley. I assume when going for long rides it starts to track to the outside again and has pushed it off and then makes its way back towards the centre. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome. I also would like to know if anyone knows what brand swingarm it is or who made it. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
I don't know anything about the widened swingarm setup, but I would think if there was that much play in swingarm to move the belt around, that you would feel it badly while riding. It would be trying to rear steer. I would be looking more at the rear pulley alignment. Put a lift under it and run it and see if the pulley it tweeked. Maybe pulley bearing?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Whenever one extends this much out, you increase the shaft deflection in this area. Under accel load the belt will track to the outside of the sprockets. A tight belt amplifies it. Even a stock bike the belt moves slightly outward between cold and hot but stops short of hitting the front sprocket flange. It will be a juggling act between belt tension and wheel alignment in your case. Primary reason is it's not stiff enough between the motor mount and outer part of axle and swing arm.
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the feedback lads! I know having a rear that size puts alot more stress on bearings and the bike itself. I do ride hard. Belt stop bolts were tiny and only threaded in 1/4" haha. I have re-drilled and tapped larger and deeper also using high strength Lock tight.

As for the rear pulley ill he taking a look it it tonight.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
As we don't know the swingarm manufacturer, it may also be worth checking the swingarm pivot bolt is not bending. There was a member a while ago who had this bending issue with the pivot bolt because of poor design/materials. This could cause the belt to change track.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know anything about the widened swingarm setup, but I would think if there was that much play in swingarm to move the belt around, that you would feel it badly while riding. It would be trying to rear steer. I would be looking more at the rear pulley alignment. Put a lift under it and run it and see if the pulley it tweeked. Maybe pulley bearing?
As we don't know the swingarm manufacturer, it may also be worth checking the swingarm pivot bolt is not bending. There was a member a while ago who had this bending issue with the pivot bolt because of poor design/materials. This could cause the belt to change track.
Yeah I've been searching everywhere for who made the swing arm. Was hoping someone on here would recognise the design. No logo or stamped code anywhere.
Cheers for the feedback

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Yeah I've been searching everywhere for who made the swing arm. Was hoping someone on here would recognise the design. No logo or stamped code anywhere.
Cheers for the feedback
It looks like one of Rick's Motorcycles swingarms, but the fact it has no markings would say it's one of the several clone manufactures which is why I mentioned the bending thing. Some of these clone items take shortcuts in machining/materials in order to make cheaper which doesn't always work.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
swingarm is basically fixed to rear of engine,so the only adjustment will be to correct the alignment at rear axle,just like a belt sander does.you could check the swingarm pivot for straightness and fitment but with all the extra stress of the widened pivot and leverage imposed then id adjust the axle to make the belt run true.rear engine mounts could be knackered and not centering pivot shaft too.maybe solid mounts are needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts