Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put the ignition switch into ACC, the instrument cluster powers up, then reboots and cycles over and over again. When I put the switch into "Run", i get very weak power to the headlights (very dim), and almost no power to the instrument cluster. (Odometer is faded and unreadable, no movement of needles.) Bike will not start, no clicking, no power to starter at all. Not enough power to read any codes. Power vision screen is weak and seems to reboot over and over.

Battery voltage is over 13, I checked all fuses.

It seems like it might be a grounding issue, I've checked the ground points under the airbox, they seem tight and clean.

The problem started with a blown ACC fuse, while riding at highway speed the whole bike went dark for a second, the engine stuttered, then it seemed to reboot and I got a CEL and my lights were out. A quick check and I found the blown 15 amp ACC fuse. I replaced it and while riding home the ACC and Lights fuses blew. At this time, they would blow anytime I switched to "Run", even w/o starting the bike. I got about 5 different codes, low voltage or brake switch errors.. About 10 fuses later I thought I found the issue, an aftermarket brake light blinker module, in line withe the rear brake lights. I removed it and the bike seemed fine, all lights bright and no codes on the ECU. I went to start it and I heard a pop, then....nothing. That's when the electric power issue appeared. The cluster seemed dead, no power to the ECU, headlights almost dead, even the front turn signals very dim.

The bike has been fine, I've made no changes outside of standard maintenance for over a year. Any ideas of anything I might be missing?

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
A) Dim lights and blown fuse sounds like a 12V shortage to ground somewhere or wrong wiring.
Check the main harness for wear and tear.

B) Dim light without blown fuse sounds like dead battery or a loose terminal, probably grounding.

As you mentioned brake switch, I have seen someone reporting similar problems and it was the brake switch.

·
Asatruar
2,935 Posts
When I put the ignition switch into ACC, the instrument cluster powers up, then reboots and cycles over and over again. When I put the switch into "Run", i get very weak power to the headlights (very dim), and almost no power to the instrument cluster. (Odometer is faded and unreadable, no movement of needles.) Bike will not start, no clicking, no power to starter at all. Not enough power to read any codes. Power vision screen is weak and seems to reboot over and over.

Battery voltage is over 13, I checked all fuses.

It seems like it might be a grounding issue, I've checked the ground points under the airbox, they seem tight and clean.

The problem started with a blown ACC fuse, while riding at highway speed the whole bike went dark for a second, the engine stuttered, then it seemed to reboot and I got a CEL and my lights were out. A quick check and I found the blown 15 amp ACC fuse. I replaced it and while riding home the ACC and Lights fuses blew. At this time, they would blow anytime I switched to "Run", even w/o starting the bike. I got about 5 different codes, low voltage or brake switch errors.. About 10 fuses later I thought I found the issue, an aftermarket brake light blinker module, in line withe the rear brake lights. I removed it and the bike seemed fine, all lights bright and no codes on the ECU. I went to start it and I heard a pop, then....nothing. That's when the electric power issue appeared. The cluster seemed dead, no power to the ECU, headlights almost dead, even the front turn signals very dim.

The bike has been fine, I've made no changes outside of standard maintenance for over a year. Any ideas of anything I might be missing?
Did you check the third ground at the bottom of the left frame in front of the gas tank ? :hmm:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sad Update

I get 12.61v at the grounds, and fuse box under the seat, and the main 40a fuse under the right tank cover.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found it!

Main ground strap near battery was loose. I mean, less than 1/4 turn loose: After thinking it was tight I thought I'd go ahead and clean the contacts, when I found the hex bolt to the frame was not tight.Also, an aftermarket brake light flasher module was bad, so fixing both of those things was the fix for everything else.

Thanks, Vrod-ers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts