Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can say one thing for sure... The stock mufflers, hollowed out with the stock baffles and power commanders map for the stock filter and exhaust screems... seriously, the bike has never ran so good. It has to be the back pressure with good fueling

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's been a long time since the last post on this thread!

I have also had misfire problems with my 2009 VRSCAW. Only misfires while cruising. With just a little throttle it clears up. I have a tune up scheduled. The word is, my HD dealer is pretty good on tunes and the dyno room. We will see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Misfire Solved.
I had a TAB Tuner. I didn't like their maps and had set it on zero to run the original HD map, but the O2 sensors were still jumped out as part of the TAB installation.The misfiring started some months later.

Removed the TAB fuel manager, including reconnecting the O2 sensors and after about 800 miles the performance has cleared up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just bought a 2014 v rod a couple of months ago. I have 600mls on the bike know. Since I test drove the bike from day 1 I felt a miss in the engine from idle to 3500 rpm. Anything higher and the engine seems to run smooth. I figured the engine needed to break in. Has anyone felt or heard of this on there v rod? I can also rev the engine and hear the miss in the exhaust. Any corrected thi condition? Btw my back ground is an electrical engineer and auto tech for over 20 years.
My 06 had the same problem as did most of the V-Rods. It is a common problem. A slight stall between 1000 and 3200 RPM's. There a bunch of old Threads on this topic. The V-Rods are tuned too lean from the factory for EPA reasons. It will probably do you no good to take it to Harley because since they were fined by the EPA in 2015 I think, not sure of the exact year, they will no longer adjust your tune other than stock tune. The simple solution is to buy a fuel tuner and add fuel where it is needed. The bike should run cooler also. I bought an EJK model and it fixed my problem and my bike runs great. Good luck:moped:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
This is more of a studder, missfire between 3000 and 4000 rpm partial throttle, at say, 10 to 30 percent... I don't think it is simply a lean condition. I have actually richend up the map on my tuner as much as 60 percent in those areas and still had the problem. There appears to be several of us with 2012 and up bikes that have this problem.
Just so you know, rich will do the same thing even though the whole time lean is the blamed . Ran into this a couple of times also. Dial in your ve's to a 14.3-14.5 in that area and see.
Ron

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello. Can You send me a link for were to buy the EJK model.

Sincerely
Bertil

http://electronicjetkit.com/

I bought the Fuel Controler

PN# 09120269

G3-EJK-HD-1046ST-2CHST

Has worked great with zero problems and the guys there were great. I also got a military discount.

I just added a little fuel until the stall went away. If you add too much fuel that can also cause problems but I have never heard of a VROD from the factory running too rich but it could happen. Good luck.:moped:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank's. I have ordered a fuel controller from PartsGiant.com. Hope I get a better Bike; Dobeck Performance ESK Electrolux Jet Kit 3.0 with Bypass. Do You think this will work okay?

Sincerely

Bertil from Norway ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
EFI Controllers - Electronic Jet Kit - Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Sportbikes, Snowmobiles, Watercraft, Dirt Bikes

I bought the Fuel Controler

PN# 09120269

G3-EJK-HD-1046ST-2CHST

Has worked great with zero problems and the guys there were great. I also got a military discount.

I just added a little fuel until the stall went away. If you add too much fuel that can also cause problems but I have never heard of a VROD from the factory running too rich but it could happen. Good luck.:moped:
I just bought a 2014 v rod a couple of months ago. I have 600mls on the bike know. Since I test drove the bike from day 1 I felt a miss in the engine from idle to 3500 rpm. Anything higher and the engine seems to run smooth. I figured the engine needed to break in. Has anyone felt or heard of this on there v rod? I can also rev the engine and hear the miss in the exhaust. Any corrected thi condition? Btw my back ground is an electrical engineer and auto tech for over 20 years.
I also had the same issue with my VRSCDX 2014 - the description was down to the T. I dropped a power vision full target tuner on it. Only hassle was the welding of the o2 sensors as Vrods are 12mm and wide band are 18mm

However what i discovered is in the active exhaust map. In 4 gears it is set differently at 3000-3500 rpm. Normally it is set up to 3000 rpm along the whole percentage throttle range at 96,8% and after 3500 set at 0,0 (mean not controlled and wide open,

Each gear was set different for example 1st and second gear is set at 50% between 40 - 50% throttle application so if you place the throttle at that point it will chock the engine,

Then for 3rd and 4th is was set across the whole throttle engagement range 10%-100% at 69.8%.

I am not sure why this was set it there. And usually tunes you get from the dealer dont look at this part of the map and are copied through. I reset mine to either 96.8 for 3000 and then back to 0.0 for 3500rpm and its gone.

·
Registered
736 Posts
This is more of a studder, missfire between 3000 and 4000 rpm partial throttle, at say, 10 to 30 percent... I don't think it is simply a lean condition. I have actually richend up the map on my tuner as much as 60 percent in those areas and still had the problem. There appears to be several of us with 2012 and up bikes that have this problem.
I fought this issue with a fuel pack and returned it only to find out later I had a bad coil where the spring in coil meets spark plug. A bunch of green build up was there indicating a bad connection. I just went with the stage one. Bike runs very good and smooth. Sometimes a hard decel at a high rpm it may back fire a little. But thats all. No biggie.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts