Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2014 v rod a couple of months ago. I have 600mls on the bike know. Since I test drove the bike from day 1 I felt a miss in the engine from idle to 3500 rpm. Anything higher and the engine seems to run smooth. I figured the engine needed to break in. Has anyone felt or heard of this on there v rod? I can also rev the engine and hear the miss in the exhaust. Any corrected thi condition? Btw my back ground is an electrical engineer and auto tech for over 20 years.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Very common. Have it re-tuned. The factory tune is EPA friendly. It will be less than ideal in low RPM's, especially when cold. You doing a proper warm-up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually I let the bike sit for about 3 4 min before I leave. But it does it at normal operating temp. Thanks

·
My Last Ride
1,347 Posts
Usually I let the bike sit for about 3 4 min before I leave. But it does it at normal operating temp. Thanks
I have had my 04 DYNO tuned three times by my local Harley-Davidson dealer and all they accomplished was to move the problem down 1000 RPM and make my exhaust color half of the baffle and leave the other half bare stainless. It sounds like I'm riding my popcorn popper.

I had them put my original MAP back in and it was an absolute mess where it once performed good with normal exhaust coloration. It just popped between 3500 and 4000 RPM. I wished that I had of left it like it was. Strange thing is they tuned the bike when the original owner had them install the V&H 2>1 pipe. Now it's like Humpty Dumpty.

Maybe your bike is normal.

Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not popping per say. It is misfiring. I can feel the power "skip" when I accelerate under light throttle and maintain any rpm lower than 3500.the bike feels like it is constantly jerking. If I ride with the rpm 4000 or above she feels smooth. Now if I am in neutral and hold engine rpm to say 3000 rpm, misfires can be heard through the exhaust tone.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Maybe your bike is normal.

Ron
It's not. Should run smooth as hell from idle to red-line, If not, could be anything from the tune to peripherals, like the exhaust/intake, plugs, wiring, ect.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Typical stock tune with off line hesitation sometime before up to full temp and that odd skip fire between 2500 - 3500. That can be tune out to run silky smooth everywhere. Unfortunately the dealer is not the place to go for a good tune. Find a good dyno operator that uses TTS or PV. Mind you , some of them are useless too but the odds are more in your favaour then the dealer, usually.
Ron

·
Registered
597 Posts
I just bought a 2014 v rod a couple of months ago. I have 600mls on the bike know. Since I test drove the bike from day 1 I felt a miss in the engine from idle to 3500 rpm. Anything higher and the engine seems to run smooth. I figured the engine needed to break in. Has anyone felt or heard of this on there v rod? I can also rev the engine and hear the miss in the exhaust. Any corrected thi condition? Btw my back ground is an electrical engineer and auto tech for over 20 years.
Is it stock!??
Mine rides fine and is smooth at all speeds (And I'm a retired powertrain calibration engineer.) Folks flame on about EPA" and being lean! Stoich is COMPETE combustion. (around 14.7 for most fuels)
And even "production" calibrations are tuned for MBT at Power enrichment (higher loads and RPM).
Aftermarket exhaust often have issues that are hard to tune, because the O2 bosses are not optimally located and sometimes not even set at proper depth to read the signal!
Exhaust "popping" on decel is a calibration issue. (it is hard to balance "tip in" feel vs. fuel cut off on very low load "over run" conditions)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Its not popping per say. It is misfiring. I can feel the power "skip" when I accelerate under light throttle and maintain any rpm lower than 3500.the bike feels like it is constantly jerking. If I ride with the rpm 4000 or above she feels smooth. Now if I am in neutral and hold engine rpm to say 3000 rpm, misfires can be heard through the exhaust tone.

My 13 Muscle with17000+ miles has done the exact same thing since it was new. I have a cobra auto tuner installed and it helped but I still get the occasional misfire. It feels as if one of the spark plugs didn't fire on that one revolution on one cylinder. It used to bother the hell out of me but I don't worry about it anymore. I even had cobra send me a new board for the tuner just to rule that out as a cause. It wasn't the tuner. I do believe with an adjustable tuner you could tune it out. Mine is so occasional it's just not that big a deal.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Harley picked up the bike today (since its under warranty) so lets see what happens. Being an electrical engineer and an auto tech I just cant understand why such programming issues. A mass air flow sensor would probably solve a lot of these issues. You would think so many of us who has these bikes with this problem they would re design or come up with a solution. Any v rodders try different plugs like e3 or split fires? One of my customers bought there own splitfire plugs for me to put in his jeep cheerokee, I was like omg what ever floats your boat,right... let me tell you,I have never felt a change in engine performance like this before. Smooth acc. And crisp power response. I could not believe the difference. Just sayin. The old plugs didn't look bad and I drove the truck before I installed them. Thanks for all your input. You metioned programmer's. What are known good ones for our v rod?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah, I live in florida. And the bike is completely stock. I always use 93 octane or 90 non ethanol.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Harley picked up the bike today (since its under warranty) so lets see what happens. Being an electrical engineer and an auto tech I just cant understand why such programming issues. A mass air flow sensor would probably solve a lot of these issues. You would think so many of us who has these bikes with this problem they would re design or come up with a solution. Any v rodders try different plugs like e3 or split fires? One of my customers bought there own splitfire plugs for me to put in his jeep cheerokee, I was like omg what ever floats your boat,right... let me tell you,I have never felt a change in engine performance like this before. Smooth acc. And crisp power response. I could not believe the difference. Just sayin. The old plugs didn't look bad and I drove the truck before I installed them. Thanks for all your input. You metioned programmer's. What are known good ones for our v rod?
The best advice is to do a search on this forum for tuners and read read read. Then decide for yourself what best suits your needs. Bottom line is they all basically do the same thing. Some require more work with learning how to use them, some are plug it in and forget it. Everyone has their own op on what the best tuner is. It really depends on what you have planned as far as mods go. Some tuners will require a dyno session with every mod you do. Some, like an auto tuner, will require no further tuning. I'm good with the Cobra tuner I have on my bike because it does what I need it to do. Sure it could be better but I cant justify spending the extra time and $ on something else that will net me basically the same results.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Even if they used MAP fueling it would be better. These bikes calibrations use TPS fuel so there are holes in the tune that are just not right. That's where a good tune can deal with those. I agree, absolutely stupid how just about all harleys run less then optimum out of the factory and really need a tune. I've yet to see a metric run like crap, out of the box.
Ron

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have this problem on my 13 even after using the power vision wide band auto tune on a couple different maps. It does seem to get better once the bike gets warm though. Once the weather gets warm again I plan on doing some more auto tune sessions, maybe just starting over with stock map and let it tune that one and see how it goes. I cant afford a dyno tune unfortunately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please let me know how your tunning works out.This is the only issue with the bike I have. I took mine in to Harley. I will vent later..

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I have an '02 early model that always had the hesitation/miss at about 3000 rpm. Unfortunately, that's right at the 50 - 55 mph range that we're saddled with on most roads. I found myself shifting down all the time to avoid the lurching.

Subsequently I installed a tuner, a "Gil's Box" from Navarro Racing that gave me some adjustability. I have spent significant time adjusting and testing and now have the bike to where I can run it at pretty low rpm without the lean condition miss-and-lurch. This essentially required fattening up the mixture at all throttle settings a little. I still average about 45 mpg, riding like a little ol' lady.

The bottom line on these bikes, though, is that they do run lean from the factory. The V-Rod engine was not designed to run at low rpm. If it's lurching, shift down. These are not the quintessential big twin, with maximum torque right off idle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is more of a studder, missfire between 3000 and 4000 rpm partial throttle, at say, 10 to 30 percent... I don't think it is simply a lean condition. I have actually richend up the map on my tuner as much as 60 percent in those areas and still had the problem. There appears to be several of us with 2012 and up bikes that have this problem.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,403 Posts
This is more of a studder, missfire between 3000 and 4000 rpm partial throttle, at say, 10 to 30 percent... I don't think it is simply a lean condition. I have actually richend up the map on my tuner as much as 60 percent in those areas and still had the problem. There appears to be several of us with 2012 and up bikes that have this problem.
Hmmmm..think I'll hold onto The B for a while longer..:moped:

'Crewzr :moped: :moped:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts